Top Shelf Aquatics

Ocellaris spots

renichms

I have had an ocellaris clownfish since January. She is active, as always, no labored breathing, no laying on her side, eats well, bites me hard enough to leave marks when I am cleaning the tank. In the last month or so, she has developed these dark spots on one side. One is under her eye, another on top near her fin and another developing towards the bottom side of the base of her tail. Any ideas what these could be? Water tests fine, no other fish in distress or showing anything like this, all other corals and critters active and healthy looking.

RN

My clown get these as well. They come and go actually. Like you, I never noticed any ill effects or unusual behavior, just dark spots. They'll probably disapper within a week or so and new ones will follow. Welcome to the spotty clown club.

How big is the fish? Many adult clowns turn dark in coloration. In fact, maroon clowns turn completely black. If your specimen is small and tank reared, it may be a percula, or a hybrid of perc and ocellaris.

GL

Mine was captive-bred and tiny when I got her. She has to be around 2" long right now. I hope this means she will be okay. Maybe one day I can get another clown and form a pair. After the last clown I got (not long ago) that died, I was worried this one would too but no problems for quite some time now.

RN

Without a pic it's kinda hard, but it sounds like it could be a coloration that comes and goes or a maturing coloration. Keep us posted.

The spot around her eye is still there but the others are gone and the other eye now has a vaguely similar spot under it. I think now it's nothing bad.

RN

Archived