Innovative Marine Aquariums

grounding probes

SLOreefer

topic basically says it all.. what do you guys think? nay particular brnd over another or doe sit really matter?

NanoReefer53

A lady at the LFS made one on her own. Just got a grounded cord and hooked it up to a stainless steel rod with a soldering iron and shrink tubing.

Christopher Marks

You can buy some premade ones from Dr. Foster and Smith or That fish place for about $10 I believe.  They're titanium too, so you don't have to worry about corrosion.

I've seen grounding probes at the lfs but never hear any mention of them. Is there some minute electrical current in the water (galvanic action?) I should be concerned with or are they a just safety measure in case I'm a total klutz and drop my ballast in the tank?

NanoReefer53

There are some diseases related to stray currents inside the tank like hole-in-head disease. Or i guess it can be insurance if your a klutz ;)

Don't use a grounding probe unless your tank is plugged into a GFI outlet (it should be anyway).  I'm not an electrical engineer, but the personal safety benefits of a grounding probe are negated if you're not using GFCI.  I believe the ground probe may delay tripping the breaker in this instance.

There is anecdotal evidence of stray voltage causing fish ailments such as lateral line erosion, but I"ve never seen anything conclusive.  

I got a titanium ground probe from www.thatpetplace.com for about $15.  That's the only readily available metal that won't corrode in saltwater.

HTH

Good point about the GFI kapelakin,

also.....Picture this

Your hand is in your tank there is a hole in a cord to a heater to the left of your hand. On the right of your hand there is a grounding probe. now you stick your other hand into the tank next to the grounding probe your body just completed the circut and you are flat on your back. Or something like that I'm not an electritical engineer but one did explain it to me in sorta that way. He sugested GFI outlets and no grounding probe. he told me that a GFI should trip BEFORE a grounding probe is usefull so its not nescesary.

HTH,

Toy

• 2 weeks later...

i know this post is pretty dead, but anyways... I don't think a grounding probe is there as a preventative measure,  from what I understand things like powerheads and especially high frequency lighting can cause current in the water...I thought it was said to be through induction but I could be wrong.  

It was high voltage but the amperage was almost negligable, I wouldn't really be able to say though whether or not a grounding probe is actually going to benefit your tank

Archived