Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nano Cube Woes

Phil80

I'd be curious to know how many of the cracked tanks on this forum came from ccjung. Not placing blame...just curious how many came from nanocustoms vs. LFS vs. online orders from elsewhere vs. Ebay.

My 24dx still remains empty as I've been working near 70hr work weeks and haven't had time to start the process. It's also remained empty because of this fear I have.

I was so excited about this hobby 2 months ago...and based on steelhealr's raves about how great his was coming along paired with how nice the one at my LFS looked, I bought one. I want my first experience with a SW tank to be a sucessful one, and the more I sit back and watch, the more it looks like it won't. Each day I look at an over $300 investment that remains empty and useless at the moment...

I'm now in such fear that I'm considering just packing it back up and exchanging it for something else at the LFS. Problem with that is I don't have $1000 to put together something comparable. This is so depressing...

:(

This is JMO, but there is NO WAY I would set-up a 24G. I looked at them at the LFS and it's not surprising they're breaking. I wouldn't put fish, corals, my carpet - and God forbid a fire if the water spills onto an outlet at risk. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

I would wait until Chris releases the new cube.

I'm nervous enough about my 12, let along the 24.

I think I'm just going to exchange it for an acrylic 48g bowfront. The nanocube was just so convenient. Not having to worry about piecing together everything...I honestly don't have a clue where to start.

I've done my research on livestock, how to set up a tank, what is required, etc...but it's a science trying to figure out which products to buy and in what configuration.

meh...oh well...guess I've waited this long. I can wait just as long while I'm piecing together a tank I know I can rely on.

you probably would have wanted to mod that cube like crazy eventually anyway. It's not really that great of an "all-in-one" device.

im on a layover, so guess what i do?

ive sold about 100 modded 12s

lost 3 to spontaneous cracks. 2 were shipped, 1 local.

ive shipped around 15 stock units, none spontaneuous.

ive shipped about 20 24g. had 5 spontaneously crack. none were

modded.

the scary part is that i personally know so many 24g owners both locally here in socal and across the country who have had spontaneous failures. purchased locally, or online.

hope this helps... sorry for the terse reponse. im using my pda.

chris

If I had it to do all over again - I wouldn't have gone with the Nano Cube. I would have "pieced together" a system. Find yourself a good LFS, someone you trust, and ask them to help you out. If you have all your packaging and receipts for the NC, try taking it back - stay cool, and explain to the LFS what worries you and why you don't want a NC anymore. As long as you tell them you're willing to buy something else (i.e., the make more money off of you), they should be willing to work with you.

I'm working on picking out a new system to replace my NC, I know how daunting it seems. I too got suckered into the "all in one system" idea for the NC, but looking back at all the work I've put into mine with mods (and clean ups), I would have been better off (no house damage) with a "pieced together" system, and I'm sure I would have enjoyed it just as much. Just my $0.02.

I almost hate to jinx myself, but here goes. I have had my 24 up and running since Feb. and could not be happier. I have not done any modifications to the hood other than the ICA. I did the usual back chambers thing and that's it. My cube was one of the first ones out and even though the specs are the same as the 2005 and late 2004 models as far as I know. I have been wondering throughout the cracking saga if JBJ didn't rush through production to meet demand and unwittingly use inferior glass. They have totally handled this situation incorrectly and have lost customers because of it.

That being said I still love the look of the Nanocube and with any luck will have mine for a while to come. Even though I am looking forward to Chris' custom cube!!

Bob

Archived