Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Major Newbie -- What is this?

GadgetGuy

This is probably like showing a picture of bread and asking "what is it?" but I haven't a clue what it is. It was on my LR when i bought it - any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

They look like Zoanthids to me. Be very very careful they can be very addicting!!:D

They come in MANY different color morphs. Do a search on Zoanthids theres a thread like "Show off your Zoanthids" there are some very good examples here!

They should survive they're pretty tuff just give them a day or two.

ummmm ricordia dont have gaps like yours appear to have.

Im pretty sure there zoos, there just closed. They look like little bulbs when they're closed and sometimes share a small matt of tissue before they separate. Its possible there another type of polyp though.

Ricordia are a coralamorph or mushroom. They only have one foot and dont have a matt like tissue. If you irritate the hell out of it it should pull itself in and look like one big blob or clear looking bulb and they will slime

The picture of ricordia looked close, so I grasped at the dangling straw. The pics of zoos I saw were all open and looked very different than my lil' cluster o' bulby things (don't make me get technical) Zoos make more sense though now that I view them as just closed for the time being.

I've had 'em since this past Sunday -- should they have opened by now? D'ya think it's too bright or mebbe they're dead?

Thanks for being patient with my newbie-ness ;)

hmmmmm Ive never had any closed that long. Not to say thats its not possible. If they dont open within the next few days you might notice there tissue changing color and yeah that might mean there dying or dead, but Ive never had complete die off.

Is your tank still cycling? Im assuming that your LR is uncured, if so high ammonia levels from the die off could be the reason they're still closed.

Hows your water testing out?

I saw your tank in the members nanos board. If its only been 4 weeks since the first drop of water hit your tank, then it might still be cycling a little.

Be very careful when adding new LR to your tank. If its already cured rock then no problem. But if its not then you could create the cycle all over again and your water params will spike. In a nano changes like this can be very bad because of the small volume of water and can become very toxic to your inhabitants.

If you notice any hermits picking at some in a few days then those where or are dying. They wont harm any that are still trying to make it, besides all it takes is one to multiply.

Good luck with your nano!:happy:

yeup, those are just closed up zoanthoid polyps. don't worry, when i had button polyps hitchike on my lr it was a week before then even started to open up.

That there's what we Call REEF CRACK. One polyp and your addicted. I've got several hundred polpys now. Gonna have to start pimping myself out to keep up.

Originally posted by SoS

That there's what we Call REEF CRACK.  One polyp and your addicted.

sos is not implying eat your zoos.

edit: X)

I like my Zoo's with Ketchup

mmm mmm good

J/K people DO NOT EAT YOUR ZOO'S But i do like to lick them :P :P

J/K seriously...Don't put your zoo's in your general mouth area.

They do feel nice in your Pants though:o

NO KEEP THEM IN THE TANK!!!!

In the darkness where nobody will see them. There mine all mine HAHAHAHAAHHAHA:D :D :D

??? ??? whoa! see told ya they where Reef Crack

Don't be like me, Don't do Zoo's

Archived