Cultivated Reef

Saltwater

"333"

IME, as long as it is kept airated and at tempature, it should be ok for 24 hours before plankton and stuff starts to foul it.

Id be hesitant to add seawater to your reef, lest it is just exclusively from a REEF area and I highly doubt they are diving for "water". look for another source lest you change a ######load of water all the time, or collect it yourself.

Thank you dave well they told me that they have a pump that go's down to 150 feet where I live in fla the water is pretty good. But i hope I did'nt kill my reef I will let you know when i get home. I think I will go back to mixing.

printerdown01

I don't know the specifics of how they gather your water. But here in San Diego, CA we have a pipe that runs way out an way down into the ocean. It used to be used by a marine bio center/public aquarium. It not only gets the water from a less poluted area, but it is also micro filtered to remove plankton. Oh yeah, and it's free... the damn surfers use it to wash off their boards (I think they think they are using freshwater... hehehe that will be nice for their fiberglass boards and wet suits LMAO)...

Originally posted by "333"

Thank you dave well they told me that they have a pump that go's down to 150 feet where I live in fla the water is pretty good. But i hope I did'nt kill my reef I will let you know when i get home. I think I will go back to mixing.

umm. i wouldnt even trust the water in fla. man didnt you hear about all those spills in miami beach. the beaches were closed off for days.

I work at the mentioned LFS, we get our water from a very reputable source, it comes from 5 miles offshore 150ft down. The owner/operator of the company has been doing business with us for some 10 years now. I use that water in all my tanks both at home and at the store. Before it is sold to the public, or used in any of our tanks it is filtered twice through micron filters of varying density. Above that it is run constantly through a UV. There are no phosphates, silicates, or nitrates in the water we sell. It is also free of any plankton. I must say, since I moved to the area I've been using this water for all of my w/c and my tanks look wonderful.

BTW, 333 I have at times let the water sit in a sealed container for up to two weeks and after running a powerhead in it for 24 hours have found no adverse effects in my tanks.

Archived