Cultivated Reef

32W or 55W

WillyWonka

WillyWonka

Just wanted to know if the 55w smartlite would fit in my eclipse 12 system or if i should just purchase the 32w.  i'm a huge fan of light and want some soft corals in eventualy.  Anyone ever done it before?

reefguru21

55watt Retro kits are about 23" long

can't remember the lenght of the eclipse12 is but even some over-hang wouldn't hurt.  I would definetly go with the 55 watt smartlite. This should let you keep softies just fine.  I would suggest that you add a Actinic03 to the 50/50 bulb to get a nice blueish white look just a thought =)

good luck

Definitely go for the 55W. I have one on my 10 Gal tank. Forget about trying to mod it into an eclipse hood. The bulb is about 21 Inches long and an eclipse hood is 20inches. I just took my hood out and put a light fixture which sticks out a little big on either sides, but I love the new lights. Going for a 30 W NO to a 55W PC is nice. Your corals will love you for it.

• 7 months later...

Can't say I'm an expert on lighting...I have a 12 gal eclipse and wanted to get enough light as well...afraid to retrofit into the hood. What I found was a powercompact bulb sold by hellolights.com it's the same size that's already on the eclipse sys and same wattage 13W but it's a 50/50 bulb...10000Kdaylight and the other half is actinic? I thought this was a much better solution to adding enough lighting without having to drill and change the tank already.

The 55W light will NOT fit a 12g eclipse. It will be much too long. I have a 12g eclipse and I can't remember the measurements but I am sure that it is not over 20" long. I would go with two 36W if possible.

Just my input.

Archived