Innovative Marine Aquariums

Good/Bad Crab?

a2vwnick

I'd recommend taking him out.... Most crabs like to pick on virtually everything to some degree.

I never got a ID on the one that I took out of my tank but looks VERY similar to that one except mine had orange color markings on it...anyway I took it out after it played lumberjack and choped one of my gorgonian's in half and just tore it up. so I say get rid of it...

I'll look for the pictures I had of mine, but looks similar. Very bad crab. Had a hard time getting him out of my tank, very fast at making himself 'disappear'.

Sony1_092.jpg

Originally posted by Jennie

I'll look for the pictures I had of mine, but looks similar.  Very bad crab.  Had a hard time getting him out of my tank, very fast at making himself 'disappear'.

Sony1_092.jpg

That my friend, would be a common shore crab ;)

My porcelain and pom pom crab are perfect reef gentlemen, I have never had a problem with them. The porcelain just waves it feeders in the current all day long and the pom pom beats on hermits that make it mad ;)

Ditto on Tigah's comment--I hate virtually all crabs. Scarlet hermits have been good to me, but bluelegs, redlegs/red-tip, emeralds, etc. have ALL been little sob's. Porcelains are fine as far as I can tell, since they're just filter-feeders, but I don't have one of my own to know for sure. I'd love to get some pompoms if they weren't $15 apiece... Haven't heard of them causing problems, but not many people have them.

Had similar crab, and never had a problem. In fact, I have loved all the crabs I have. I had three un-i.d.ed hitchhikers, an emerald, and a bunch of hermits. With the exception of the emerald killing a clown, I never had a problem with any of them. Keeo an eye on him. If you see him eating your stuff, you can always make mini crabcakes. (very mini)

Archived