Coral Vue Hydros

Stock NC24DX - Anemones/Corals hosting a clown?

Cable

No anemone is suitable for hosting a clown with the stock lighting. Look into torch corals, frogspawns and hammers...these are all likely hosts for the clown--but there are never any guarantees that the clown will host at all.

Ya I have read the reports on Torch, Frogspawn, and Hammer working out with clowns. I was just hoping that someone had success with a e.quadricolor (BTA) anemone with the stock 72W lighting. I plan on picking up a Frogspawn or Hammer this weekend. I'll add another 36W in another 4 months when the warranty on my tank ends and then perhaps try a BTA.

That's what hosting is. :P My clown hosts my frogspawn, zoas, powerheads, whatever will accept her. It will beat up on the coral, but most can withstand it (unless they're very small or weak to begin with). :

I have two RBTA in a 12G DX, stock light, both are flourishing. One of them used to be abused by a maroon, but after we removed the maroon, it regained the color and all tenacles back, and this week just splitted. My two clownfish didnt pay attention to them for a good 3 months, then recently just hosted.

BTW I feed them almost everyday.

Shrimp bought from supermarket, cut to small piece, thaw it, and stick it to RBTA's tenacles. They will then grab it.

I think the key is to have enough filtration if you really want a BTA in a small cube. I have like 30lb LR in my 12gallon.

Awesome. I heard that the light requirements for BTAs was lower than other anemones. Just wasnt sure how low a light they could take. Can you post some pics of your two RBTA's and clowns?

Pics are in my gallery. The RBTA in the center is actually two stay together, big one on top (fully expanded to about 4inch), small one at bottom (2inch span). They are facing the clevice, so I cant get a front shot. The other one on the left side of tank, the tiny guy, and the small guy, used to be a single one, who got turtured by a maroon and lost almost all its tenacles and color a few months ago. Amazing how fast it recovered.

I have a H. Crispa in my 12dx nano cube. It has the stock 48w lighting and the anemone is doing phenominal. Lighting is great with helping to keep the anemone's beneficial symbiotic algae alive, however that algae only suppliments a small amount of actual food to the anemone. The anemone needs to be fed, and much more frequently than people think. The protein from meaty foods is what your anemone will use to grow and repair tissue. I feed mine daily and it has tripled in size from when it was purchased, less than a month ago.

Archived