inTank Media Baskets

First photos of my 7 gal Minibow

SaltyinNJ

This is my first time posting of pics of my 7 gal Minibow. Finally got a digital camera. How they come out OK. I want to thank Christopher Marks and the members of this great website for getting me interested in nanos and providing the information I needed to get started. The tank is approximately 7 months old. I still have alot to learn but I have not run into any problems (yet!).

Tank specs;

AGA 7 gal Minibow

1 CSL 32 watt Smarlite 50/50

50 watt Ebo Jager heater

Rio 90 powerhead

Aquaclear Mini

7 lbs. of LR

10 lbs. of seeded HD playsand

SG 1.025

Temp 80 F

Inhabitants:

1 False Percula Clown

1 Cleaner shrimp

1 blue hermit

1 red hermit

2 Turbo snails

1 Stomatella snail (hitchhiker)

1 Blue mushroom rock

1 Hammer coral

1 Green Star Polyp (of some type) rock

multiple tube worm hitchhikers

Please feel free to make comments or suggestions. I am not sure what type of coral I would like to add next. In retrospect, I probably would have not gotten the hammer coral. I have not noticed any sweepers or negative effects on the other corals, but I am worried about this in the future. I should have planned better.

Nice looking tank Salty... looks like it's coming along nicely.

Um, well, um.... your "green star polyps"? Are you suuuuuure?

Looks like a galaxia to me.

Maaaaaaannnnnn! I want a 7 bow!zzz

maybe santa can help me out!

Nice looking tank!

I agree with glazer, looks like its gettin pretty big too!

watch out for sweepers

Galaxia?? It was labeled green star polyps. I feel foolish.

I don't know enough yet to identify alot of corals of without directly comparing to a picture. I trusted the LFS's label.

I will make sure to read up on it's care, etc.

Thank you for pointing this out to me.

Hey look on the brite side you probably paid less than what you would have if it was labeled correctly:happy:

besides thats pretty foolish of them, they are the LFS they should know.

And now you know just how much to trust them

quiksilver5768

Yea, i think its green tipped galaxia. And a colony that big would run for usually about $90-110 or so. I dunno how much u payed for it labeled as greenstar polyps though. Also, you should know that galaxia is much more aggreisve than gsp(green star polyps) sonce they are under the LPS(long polyp stony) category. Galaxia has almost the most aggresion and longest sweeper tentacles compared to any other LPS coral.

I am embarassed and disappointed with myself. Since I started this tank I have taken things very slowly and tried to be very conscientious regarding water testing, bioload, etc. Now because of my lack of experience and impulsiveness, I have a 7 gallon tank with two of the most aggressive corals there are.

This is not what I wanted. I am really bummed. On the bright side if there is one.....apparantly I got a bargain...I paid $45 for it. But after reading up on it I don't think I want to keep it.

Any advice?

See if a different LFS will take it in and give you credit. Then you can buy anything you might need and maybe a coral or two:happy:

But try and take them a picture first like the one you posted that way you dont hall it down there and they try to low ball you. Then youll probably agree so you dont have to take it all the way back home and feel ####ed because you spent more then they offered.

Or you can frag it and post that you have some for sale or trade. You should be able to make your money back that way or get some other corals. Seeing that its a galaxia people with nanos might not jump at it but people with large reefs would love it.

Thanks DeskJockey, over the weekend I will try to sell it back to a different store near me. If that doesn't work I will consider fragging it. I appreciate your advice.

Don't be so hard on yourself Salty... it's all about learning. For what it's worth ya got a couple of real healthy looking specimens there. I would hit this board and maybe over at RC and put them up for trade with some area reefers... As DeskJockey pointed out ya may not get swamped with offers from us nano kids buuuuuuuut there might be some folks there in the Tri-State area with larger setups that could hook you up with quite a few frags.

Next time you go shopping take a book with you or print some pics off the net of corals you are interested in.... I have seen corals mislabeled in LFS's MANY times.... if they got it wrong and it's a goody fer cheap I don't say squat... Buuuuut if they got it wrong and want big bucks for their faux pas I am the first one to yell ........ 'TARD! hehehehehe

Haha! Reminds me of the time when I was a new newbie (i still consider myself one) and the LFS sold me some Aipstasia as a rock anenome! Wow those Weren't the times!

Kyle

*slaps Kyle upside da head with big handful of freshly harvested bryopsis*

" Momma always said stupid is as stupid does" ... F.G.

It's okay Salty, I'll take ya to Dairy Queen and we can hit on the "perky endowed" banana-split gals, everybody luv a paaaaarfait!

printerdown01
the LFS sold me some Aipstasia as a rock anenome

LOL, it happens more than you think! This stuff is often sold to people as "anemone rock" or "rock anemone." It is amazing what some LFSs will do! Another way to avoid getting ripped off (especially when you are trying to 'trade') is simply to build a relationship with them. It sounds crazy but I know there is more than one reefer on here that knows every LFS owner and employee by name! And even scarier they know he/she by name as well!! ...not to say I'm one of these :rolleyes: cause there is something seriously wrong with anyone that would frequent a LFS that often ;). BTW nice snag on your "star polyps" hehe!!

nice tank :) ...

..its usually a good idea to read and do research on what you want for your tank, then when the time comes..you know exactly what you want and what they look like :) ...its never a good idea to go to fish stores and buy anything that looks nice...I mean, we all do it..but its not a good idea.....JMO..

anyways, you got a good deal on that galaxia, i wish my LFS will sell their galaxia's for the price of a GSP :)

im just passing on a word that a lil fish told me a long time ago :)

I really like your minibow's guys. what do you all do for hoods or canopies? I imagine the drawback about these tanks is that it's impossible to built your own wooden hoods for these things. but the curved glass is slick and beautiful.

thanks for sharing, btw.

Archived