Coral Vue Hydros

Is 10gal from Walmart any good

sauer

I suspect that happens in most industries. I know it happens in the food industry. I used to temp at Sunshine Biscuits, and they made the crackers for one of the *major* restaurant/foodservice/etc. supply companies around here. They're labeled w/ the other company's name, are produced to their specs, etc. Again, unless you worked in the plant, you'd never know those crackers were made by someone other than the company on the label....

Originally posted by MacnReef

they must have newbees building them or retards like Dave ESPI. :D

ahem...Woof, Woof, grrrrrrrrrrr

Don't dis the ESPI MacnRoof

Not good to get ESPI started. me likey nice espi

I've got two Wal-Mart 10's. One is my quaritine tank and the other I used to breed Beta's and guppies. Neither has leaked in over a year of use.

Also I think Wal-Mart is a community friendly store. Sure there is something fishy about the Toys for Tots ending up back on the shelf but how about all the times local communities have been in need and they have given supplies for free. I can't remeber where it was but somewhere flooded a few years back and Wal-Mart supplied the community with gloves and tools to help fend off the rising water.

In the end this is just my $.02

My biggest peeve with Wal Mart is the idea that when they opened up they had GREAT customer service, as they have slowly established themselves and put competitive stores out of business their customer service has gone to hell in a hand basket. Now if we ask a store employee where to find something we are usually told, I dunno ask that person over there, or just I dunno....

The more this post goes on the more I realize it is worth it to me to spend the extra $$ and support the LFS, and small independant department stores, not because I like to spend more $$ for the same item but to send a message that "Customer Service" is still the name of the game.

Still going on about Wallmart or not? Man, this thread is kind of funny. If it doesn't leak, let's be real, who cares. ITS GLASS AND SILICON! ONE DOLLAR HERE, ONE DOLLAR THERE! You are going to spend hundreds of dollars on everything else and need to know about the performance of the other equipment. Its like buying a new pair of Nike's and wondering who makes the shoelaces. If the laces hold the shoes on, WHO CARES! Maybe not the best analogy but the first to pop into my head. C'mon people, this is not a 300+ gallon and hundreds of dollar decision, it's a ten gallon tank, the most widely produced tank on the planet. I realize some people may take pride in the origin and type of sand that was melted to create the glass or that the silicon bead is on average .00132mm thicker than on avergage tanks.

OK, now you guys can flame me another 12 or so posts.

Regardless of where it is bought people still want quality for their $10. If the tank has asthetically pleasing qualities and doesn't leak then great, but if it has poor silicone etc... why buy it even if it is only $10

LiQuiD missed the point of QUALITY IN WORKMANSHIP.

If it doesn't leak, let's be real, who cares.  ITS GLASS AND SILICON!  

.... You are going to spend hundreds of dollars on everything else and need to know about the performance of the other equipment.    C'mon people, this is not a 300+ gallon and hundreds of dollar decision, it's a ten gallon tank, the most widely produced tank on the planet.  

.....OK, now you guys can flame me another 12 or so posts.

No No No NO. Why are OCEANIC 15 gal tanks 45.00 and AGA are 25.00? both are the same dims, both use silicone and Glass. Both have frames. Both hold water. SO WHY DOES ONE COME WITH A 10 YEAR GUARONTEE and ONE WITH A 90 DAY GUARONTEE?...

Yer not so smart now are ya. ;) (sarchazim)

If the glass and silicone blows out on a tank, YOU LOOSE ALL THE ###### IN THE TANK:... PERIOD.

You get (and deserve) waht you pay for.

Flame?.... Putin' that in a pipe and smoking it. :D

Hey Dave, the AGA has a 5 year warranty and as far as I'm concerned, if it makes it 5 years without leaking, it should make it 10. Besides, you know how these business' work, let me ask you this, do you have the receipt of that 10 gallon tank you bought 8 years ago that just sprung a leak so you can use it for your guarantee? Of course you don't and either does anyone else. And if you did, would you go through the process to spend $10 to mail it back to the manufacturer to get another from them or just run to the store and buy another? The manufacturer knows the psychology of the public and knows the rarity of having to give in to guarantee claims. If it doesn't leak the first month you have it the receipt goes in the garbage, that is if you kept it that long. They may as well put 100 year guarantee on the thing as many other manufacturers do because they know years from now you can't prove when you bought it and wouldn't bother anyway. I really don't need to give a lesson on business 101 but lets put the guarantee thing in the trash since I hope we all realize how that works 5 years, 10 years, yada yada yada.

Oceanic has a better "name" in the industry, that's the reason for the price difference, not quality. I mean what is the difference, the glass?, the silicon?, the precise way the pieces are put together? Quality in workmanship? Do you think the manufacturers are like blacksmiths? You think they blow their own glass? C'mon, it's a freak'n assembly line making 50 a minute. That's what they want you to think, even AGA has an "assembeled by:" sticker kind of like the bulls**t "inspected by" stickers on so many other products. These aren't Ferrari's, they are sqaure glass cubes. They have minimum wage momo's putting these together, not skilled professionals.

This is way too much time for me to be spending typing about the "quality in craftsmanship" of 10 gallon glass cubes. Let's change topics to the quality of the new dixie cup line or the well manufactured Brawny paper towel.;)

Archived