Innovative Marine Aquariums

Unknown Coral Spreading...

Nico

Sorry for the poor pic.

This coral is growing on my mushroom rock. It's like a mat with polyps which extend during the day and retract to a flat mat like appearance at night...also, they retract quickly with any movement nearby. Polyp centers are neon green. Anyone know what this is?

Thnx...

Nick

The circled area shows the polyp extended.

Hey, thnx for the reply's. It's definitely not a feather duster. I'm thinking it could be a flower pot coral...I'm really unsure though.

Nick

doubt its a flower pot. goniopora has 12 tenacles and alveapora has 24, yours has something in between from what i can count.

it's pretty cool looking though. it could just be a matting button polyp (zoanthus,palythoa species).

look like anthocauli from a plate coral. i have some growing out of a chunk of rock too. slow growers for me, but i don't mind them. mine are more of a fluorescent blue/green. quite nice but very very tiny still.

cloves are octocorals... 8 tentales. the one he has pictured does not have that number.

it could be a larval form of some coral... that would be cool. i doubt it, but one can wish. :)

Here are some more pic's of it's polyps retracted. Camera is terrible.

I think it could be some type of LPS...still very unsure though.

Thnx again for all the help!

Nick

yoshiod9,

Thnx for the info. I looked into it, but it doesn't look similar. I circled and area in the first pic showing one of the polyps fully extended. The last pic shows it fully retracted to a flat mat like appearance. It look's as if it's a colony of some sort???

Nick

lol. Pic's are real bad. I see this unknown coral is bothering you as well. haha.

I hate sticking my hands in the tank..i'll have pic's for you tomorrow, most likely bad ones. lol. I do my best though.

Nope, not leptastrea but close. I think it may be in the Faviidae family.

Thnx again, Nick

yoshiod9,

Thnx for the link...went through it. Unfortunately, I found nothing. Goniopora minor and Goniopora stutchburyi look very similar.

Hey steelhealr,

The base is a tan gray and it's tentacles resemble more of an anemone than cloves polyps. Definitely not a pipe organ. Thnx...

Nick

Nico,

I have the same unknown coral on my mushroom rock. I was thinking it was some kind of LPS as well. I tried my best to id this coral but I have had no luck because they are so hard to get a pic of, lol. I do believe it is Goniopora stutchburyi as that what it closely resembles

unknown.jpg

unknown1.jpg

From my very imprecise counting I think it has 18 tentacles...if that helps to narrow it down....And did you guys possibly buy this rock at the same store?

Has a hard skeleton, correct? (Didn't read the whole thread, sorry)... I'm stuck on Goniopora.

Those anthocauli are beautiful....Unique.

Thnx for all the reply's!

reefer21, Wow! We have the same unknown coral growing...i got this mushroom rock from farms-of-thesea.

janasleah, Nice counting.

Caesar777, I was thinking the same thing. However, after looking into it, I now believe it to be Encrusting Pagoda...thnx to FragMaster.

FragMaster, I think your right. I would assume Encrusting Pagoda is a lot more common than Goniopora...I think I read some where that Goniopora is difficult to keep. Thnx...

Nick

It is near impossible to keep! You will hear people say they have had them for more than two years but I think that is BS.

They very rarely make it more than 1 year in captivity.

They thrive on dirty water and fiecies. Litteraly.

The odds it is an encrusting pagoda are much greater than a goni'.

Goni's have soft fleshy skeletons where pagodas do not they are hard save for the polyp extensions. ALSO it shares one trate with goni's.

If you touch the coral bare handed the oils from your skin will burn it.

so dont touch it to see it it is hard to the touch with out a latex glove on.

It being so small it might do it in.

ALSO encrusting pagoda's have fleshy short polyp extensions.

Hope this helps!

FragMaster

Archived