SaltCritters.com

Is my cassette skimmer working?

Nano08Reef

I just put in a cassette tape mod like others that I have seen on this site... but I cannot tell that it is working. Should water be pouring into it? Right now the water is just going through the notches. There is still a significant amount of debris floating in my water. Did I do something wrong?:|

The skimmer mod isnt to pull debris from the water column but rather from the water surface. It will clear up that film that forms on the surface.

The water will not pour through the notches. The goal is to just make the notches big enough/deep enough so that the water does not flow over the whole cassette case, only through the notches. What this means is that the cassette case is matched for the amount of flow of your circulation pump. As long as this is the case, you should be fine. Give it a day and the surface of your water should be crystal clear.

I unfortunetly haven't noticed any significant improvement after adding the cassette mod. my water surface still has a slight film to it. also the cassette cover must slip off occasionaly cause I have found it on the sand a few times. I think it did it correctly. just don't know?

but the cassette tap can be used today... yours could be used when you get it in a couple weeks/months:D

Just messing with you bob:P

Originally posted by marc

I unfortunetly haven't noticed any significant improvement after adding the cassette mod.  my water surface still has a slight film to it.  also the cassette cover must slip off occasionaly cause I have found it on the sand a few times.  I think it did it correctly.  just don't know?

If it's falling, it sounds as if the water level in the back chambers is too high. How high is the water level in the back? Mine is never any higher than the top of the low dividers(meaning that the water is completely below the intake grating). If this is not the problem, then my other thought is that the bottom of the cassette tape case is not pressed against the back wall of the tank. Usually this is the case, but is not usually a problem. You can try to sand/grind the sides down flush with the bottom lip of the cassette case.

Archived