Cultivated Reef

new reefer intro and question

fiftymillimeter

fiftymillimeter

hi all. my wife bought me a 12g OG NC for my 31st a few weeks back. this is my first foray into salt.

i cycled it with 15lbs lr, ls, and live water. went into a nice brown stage, got clean-up crew of six snails 3 hermit crabs. been pretty obsessive about testing the water. got small frag of neon green star polyp. today got some nice little blue/green/orange zoanthid and a black brittle star.

i've been reading all i can on the forum and i'm psyched that you folks are around. i've dremeled and installed the cassette tape skimmer and i've got plans for the maxijet 900/hydor flo mod, and have leds on order from superbrightleds to get some microalgae going in the 2nd chamber. this is all quality info that no book would provide, so thanks!

over the past week the water in the tank has become a bit milky, though the levels have stayed perfect. so i bought some purigen, took out one sponge from the first chamber and put in the purigen hoping to polish it up a bit. i took out the small airstone that i thought would provide a little more flow for the star polyps…

this milkiness - does it pass with time? anything i can do to facilitate it?

reef3.jpg

fiftymillimeter

another question:

the neon green star polyps were not attached to rock so they have been sitting pretty quietly and looking awesome at the top shelf. but the night before last a turbo snail knocked him off. i put him back and he came back out.

then last night a turbo attached to him and literally had him lifted up off the rock (turbo turned over on his back). it was like wwf in the tank. so when the snail let go, i righted the coral and put him back where he belonged. but this morning he seems pretty ####ed. he's not opening up *at all*…

i'm guessing i need to attach him to rock somehow?

Christopher Pearson

gel super glue, small amount. i like using seashells myself. could break up some small amounts of rock too.

I agree, gel super glue (cyanoacrylate), in a small amount. Search for super glue on this forum if you are worried about it hurting you're tank, I have not heard of anyone with any problems. As for the milky water I have no advice that I trust, but here's a bump so maybe someone else knows.

DKreefkeepers

run the purigen full time and replace it every 6-7 weeks, run your sponge in chamber one full time but rinse it out real good once a week if not more often. Your water WILL clear in less than a week if you keep that sponge washed out. Are you using tap water or rodi for top off and changes? Also to attatch that GSP just rubber band it to a rock for abtou 10 days and ti will have attatched itself to whatever it is on. You can use super glue btu I dont like that idea at all and if you rubberband it it is more natural. I did this myself on numerous corals and it works everytime.

fiftymillimeter

awesome, thanks. it's only been up for a few weeks, so i am topping off with distilled water. not sure when/if i will buy ro/di.

funny, though, it may have started clouding when i added buffer with a cup of tapwater.

DKreefkeepers

es buy a rodi unit, you do NOT want the problem that come with using tap water for water changes.....trust me I bought this unit from ebay the guy sells these by the truck load and they work great!

reverse osmosis on ebay

The one I bought came with a tds meter and a pressure gauge for the buy it now price of 99$ I would search in his store for a deal like that because you need both of those things to tell how well yoru unit is working and when you need to change filters.

fiftymillimeter

noted, jake.

he's still ####ed right now. i rubberbanded him last night, but he didn't open up all day. the new zoos are doing well, otoh.

thanks for the ro link, dk. won't be this paycheck, but maybe next.

Archived