ReefCleaners.org

help with auto topoff/dosing

tanakiye

hey guys..I've been considering setting up a simple topoff for my 5 gal nano...i'm constantly stopping by the tank to pour in makeup water and its getting kinda old....however, I know absolutely nothing about float valves and being a chick, hardly any mechanical ability at all. Anyone have any ideas for a simple topoff, maybe gravity fed? the evap rate in the nano is about a cup a day, so i think a container the size of a 20oz coke bottle would take care of the evap for at least 3-4 days

....however, I know absolutely nothing about float valves and being a chick, hardly any mechanical ability at all.

Okay, this is twice now I have seen this comment, no more copouts!....lol Being a chick got nothing to do with it, of course being a guy I don't ask for directions but chicks do... check the search feature, lot's of info on top off systems. You can even go with a IV feed bag from the medical supply house....may be ghetto but so simple even a chick can figure it out.

:P

Hey you know I'm just funnin' with you don't you!? Don't go being a "chick" and get all sensitive on me now...

(waiting and hoping to see if this "chick" has a sense of humor)

might be a chick, but i'll still turn you over my knee and spank you.:P

but really, im scared i might mess it up and dump a whole bunch of freshwater into my tiny little nano, thats why i've been dealing with this "pour water into the tank three times a day" thing. i'm definitely trying to avoid the float valve thing cause i've read a few DIY articles about them and the whole thing is just confusing. the iv bag thing sounds good, but then how do i keep track of how many drops or whatever i need? i've also read about a gravity-fed approach, but that kinda iffy too. im usually not home during the day and my boyfriend is completely reef-ignorant. he likes dogs...he says they have "personality". so does my koran. :happy: anywayzzzzz....what method do you use/think is most reliable?

Come on give it a try!:D

You should really consider the float switch that physh is offering. I made my own but if you donÂ’t want to deal with that just buy one of his. Its really simple to set-up and depending on what you

have lying around youÂ’ll probably just have to buy a few things. If your worried about setting it up incorrectly just try it out on a bucket, and once youÂ’ve figured it out transfer it to your tank. To

bad you donÂ’t live near me Id help you out. :blush:

Like everything else I would give it a cleaning from time to time. Its a magnetic switch that is fully enclosed. Once they contact they turn off the pump. I played around with it to see if there were any possibilities of flooding and figured if a very big snail found its way onto the float then yeah it could be a problem. So if you have big snails keep the switch a little further from the glass.

Archived