SaltCritters.com

A Starfish?!

freakintiger

freakintiger

There is a tiny starfish on my live rock. It has a sunburst coloration on its body with 6 arms, 5 of which are small(replacement arms?)and one large full size arm. The arms are banded white dark grey and black!The arms are serpentine, like tentacles. It is just roving around, I imagine looking for some food-hope it finds some!

There are a bunch of really tiny -pods running around in there. Tanks starting to come alive!

Is there anything I can do for the life in the tank or just let (pseudo)nature take its course(survival of the fittest)?

freakintiger

These things come to life at night(or at least when you turn their light off). All kinds of worms large and small are coming out to feed. The biggest one is banded and acts like a vacuum. This is great stuff!

When I shine my little flashight into "the deep" I feel just likes Jacque Cousteau(sp?)!

sounds like the tank is in great shape, the more life the better. watch out for some of the worms, if you overfeed the tank, they can get big in a hurry.

neanderthalman

I'm wondering if they might be asterina starfish. They reproduce by growing a leg larger than the others, then it drops off and becomes a new starfish.

freakintiger

Weird, do they hide under the sand? What I am seeing is just like the original star fish(who died unfortunately)in bandidng on the arms. The arms are spread out radially feeling about, but the main body cannot be seen. I dont believe they are just a bunch of worms, if they are stars I have two, how long they survive is a big question. Will they find anything to eat?

Also my clam (accidental,came w/ live sand)died and I had to dispose of it before I left for work this morning. I figure it may have starved, or the water isnt good enough for larger creatures yet...

lots of starfish only need a small piece of the center to regenerate. If your old starfish lost an arm with a chunk of its body before it died, this might be him... back... FROM... THE DEAD!

Archived