Cultivated Reef

I'm out of the loop. Fill me in?

Hwarang

Greetings!

I am returning to the nano game after a hiatus of some length. I am wholly out of the loop regarding current developments in nanocube mod subculture, and would appreciate a moment of someone's time to get me up to speed. I have been reading about the current JBJ drama, but still have many questions.

Situation:

I�m looking to get back into reefing with a small, low cost, mostly stock setup.

Problem:

As I said, I�m out of the loop here so I have a few basic questions that I was not able to answer through forum and google searching. One of my previous nanos was an �OG� JBJ nanocube. Despite some shortcomings, I really liked this aquarium and how it turned out, and am considering the little 6 gallon nano made by JBJ.

Parameters:

1.Small setup for apartment friendly life

2.Low cost if I can � haha! Good one, I know.

3.Get away with as little modification as I can.

Specific questions:

I see lots of posts about JBJ and glass cracking questions, although I couldn�t tell exactly which model(s) the problem has been seen to occur. Has this happened to many of the 6 gallon models?

Are the ballasts that JBJ is using any better now, or should I expect to replace it right off the bat?

Is the 6 gallon hood spacious enough to add another 18w 50/50 without removing that crazy ventilation stuff they have stuck in there

When I used to post here, there was lots of talk about:

a) remora style protein skimmer that could be dropped into small aquariums � such as the rear compartment of the �OG� nanocube

B) nano sized remora style protein skimmer for use with aquariums less than 20g (I ask because I am considering a 20L setup as it is my favorite shape)

-Do either of those exist yet?

Lastly:

I discovered a site that was selling nanocubes that were �professionally� modified. Unfortunately the owner of the site had a large note upon entry stating that he was not working with JBJ anymore. Being a genX�er of the 80�s and 90�s feeling the tug of immediate gratification and having an abhorrence of making my own aquarium parts, this immediately appealed to me. Allow me to clarify: I would be willing to spend completely frivolous sums of money if I could buy a 6g nanocube that someone else professionally modded to include adequate lighting, fans/ventilation, surface skimmer overflow and whatever else. My biggest complaint about stuffing all that junk into my old nanocube was that it turned out ugly and I hated the frustration of doing it myself.

If any of you would like to respond to my questions, I would be most appreciative. If you are lazy like me, and don�t want to do a lot of typing, feel free to just spam up some links for me to follow � I like reading.

Thanks again, looking forward to watching copepods again.

-OG nano fan Hwarang

Cholesterol

Agreed. Looks to me like exactly what you want, and Chris is wonderful to work with.

Welcome back! I enjoyed reading your posts before, and look forward to it again.

Archived