Innovative Marine Aquariums

R2 Solution Moonlight

FireFish21

I posted this in the lighting forum, but I thought I might get more results over here....

I am thinking about getting one of these moonlights for my 12dx

does anyone else have any opinions?

I looked into the FishBowl product that everyone is talking about, is there a huge difference? I'm not extremely worried about mimicking the phases of the moon. I'll just leave these on at night.

The R2 Solution Moonlight says this:

LED with 5 11000MCD LEDS produce incredible coverage

Safe low voltage 12 v dc power supply

6 foot cable with on/off switch for easy manipulation

2 easy to install brackets with double sided mounting tape

Lifespan of over 11 years

Does this sound alright?

Would I install it under the splash guard?

Help me out plase

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

My experiance with these lights has been both positive and negative. I own two 12 gallon cubes and have an R2 in each. They ran fine for about 5 months, and then one started to flicker; three of the six bulbs, untill the entire unit went out.

Then 1 month later the second R2 started doing the same. I was very upset since they are not cheap lights. I noticed that the company states an 11 year life on the bulbs.

So I contacted my vender and he sent me two new units and I sent back the others.

What I will say is that they are very easy to install and move, for a better view. They are also very bright and cover a really good degree of your tank. I've worked with other moonlights by coralife but I prefer these because of the overall band of light I get.

To answer the question on will it affect your corals because of 24 hour period, I don't think so. The output is not strong enough to disturb and it really mimics moonlight.

My fish benefit because as the hood lights fire off, the moonlight quietly puts them to sleep. Before as the lights were suddenly shut off, the fish would go crazy searching for a place to hide.

It's like a night light for your child....

Mike

Thanks for the reply

So, apparantly it is easy to mount them under the splash guard? Is there a specific location that would work best.

I noticed people with the Fishbowl moonlights were moving them around... anyone find the "best" spot yet?

Thx

I also have the R2 solution moonlight and have no complaints what so ever. It is in my 24 under the splashguard in front of the lights (stock lighting) no problems with heat or operation. They look great too. I have mine set on a timer to come on just before my lights go out.

I thought I had a pic, but it's a home. I will try to post it later.

Bob

i got mine under the splash in front of the bulb, it actually touches the first bulb! works great 4 me, but just barely fits!

-Mike

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Regarding where to place them?

I had one under my splash guard and one under the feeding lid; from my first two R2's...

Now both are under the feeding lid in a very convenient spot; mainly because my upgraded lights take up the entire splash guard...

Mike

It's easy to make your own if you have a little 'work with your hands' experience. I built one for my 46G FW. It wouldn't be hard to DIY one for your tank. SH

thx again for all the responses....

Bob- and anyone else who has them, I'd love to see a pic whenever you can get one.

brittney

Archived