Cultivated Reef

Detrivore Kit

LSUtiger

I'm finally about to purchase my detrivore kit.

I think I am going with teh one offered by inland aquatics at

http://www.inlandaquatics.com/prod/prod_detrit.html

It includes mysis shrimp, gammarus shrimp, amphipods, copepods, miniature brittle stars, and bristle worms.

The page says it can effectively seed a 55 gal tank. I only have a 7G, but I'm thinking that it is still ok for a 7G. Can someone tell me if they agree or not? I can purchase indivdually if I need to.

Also, is it a good mix of bugs or should I have any other bugs in there as well? Thanks in advance for the help.

Mark

If just looking for a cleanup crew, this seems rather excesssive, unless this is all you want in your tank.

I think some snails, some shrimp, and some hermits are fine for cleanup. After all, once you figure the rock and sand in your tank, will you even have 7g?

Granted, I'm new to Nanos', but still seems rather expensive. Get some basic critters, and then add later.

printerdown01

I think it will be over kill for a 7 gallon. If you used LR you probably already have amphipods, copepods, and bristleworms... However, it sounds pretty decent. See if you can find someone in your area to either "donate" some stuff to, or someone who is willing to buy at a discount rate! I already looked to see if I was near you, to make an offer, but you are a little too far for me ;).

I ordered their kit for my fuge and I specified that the tank and fuge held a total of 9 1/2 gallons with no rock or sand, probably closer to half that with the rock and sand. I requested a smaller portion so as to avoid die off and wasting life. Not sure if they cut my amount back as I didn't have a full sized order to compare it to. I do know that I paid the full price. My fuge is loaded with critters now. If you plan on stocking a fuge you definitely don't need 55 gallons worth as they will multiply fast.

I have found that emailing the store to discuss my order always works better than just ordering thru the cart. You end up getting friendly with the store and you will get what you want and need, no overkill and you might get lucky and get a freebie or two thrown in.

Plus, if you have any problems, you are already on good terms with the store.

thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I have the 2.5 gal Aquafufe on the back, so I'll be putting some of the critters back there. I'll drop them an email. Thanks again.

Mark

Put the bulk of kit in the fuge. Some of the critters will find their way to the main tank. If you put most of the critters in the main tank, they might get eaten by the fish. The purpose of the refugium is to house these delicate creatures and keep them safe so that they can multiply.

It sounds like you have my set-up. 7 gallon aga bow with the 2.5 gallon hang on back fuge. If you haven't picked up a light for the fuge yet, be careful when you do. The jalli 13w pc sits right on the frame of the fuge and is perfect for it but it is so damned hot and, seeing as it just fits the frame, it has a tendency to fall into the fuge if you aren't very careful. I have my tank sitting in a window that gets ample sunlight so I don't even bother with lights on the fuge anymore. Macros still growing very fast.

I live 2 blocks away from IA and its a very good store and they have huge system of tanks (40,000 gallons or something like that) They are expensive but the quality of lifestock you get is super. The detrivore kit is one of their hottest products (seems like everytime I come they collect critters for them.) They are also very flexible at least in my experience, so you can email them and order half of the kit, you will just have to pay the same shipping for less stuff. Personally I have 2 tanks that I stocked from them and I never had any problems. So good luck. :)

I ordered their Fauna kit and some macro and was very pleased with both. I put the critters in a fuge for my 65 and it didnt take long for them to find there way into the main tank.

I would definitely do business with them again...heck they even saved me money! I was going to buy the flora kit but the sales person on the phone told me I would be better off just ordering one type of macro. I ordered two (one for back-up) and saved $20!:happy:

If it was my LFS they wouldnt have told me that!;)

Well good luck with your fuge!

Crakeur, yeah, sounds like we have a similar setup, but if I remember, you have some heavy duty lighting over your nano right? I want to upgrade mine one day. I do have the Jalli light on the top, and I have to be careful when setting it on the top b/c it is a close fit. The temp so far has been at a constant 81 .

sunflashx, check out the link that deskjockey gave. We have the 12" CPR aquafuge.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

Mark

Archived