Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bought a brute of a canister filter

limulus

I bought an Odyssea CFS4 Canister filter off the bay. This thing is BIG and rated at 1200L/hr. I mainly bought it for the 55g but wanted to try it to polish the water in the 12g NC. First, we just returned last night from a 10-day trip to Alaska and the tank was an absolute mess! The algae is starting to look like a putting green on the glass. I'm losing my patience fighting this stuff. I'm going to try a different salt mixture. I'm currently using Tropic Marin and RO water. I even have PhosGuard running and can't stop it. I'm also going to reduce my light period by 2-hrs.

Back to the canister: It polished the water in 20-min. The return is like a fire hose and actually burried some of my rics and shrooms under the sand. On the other hand, it blew all the crud off the rocks with ease. Since it's a canister filter it holds probably 2-gal of water. Most of this can't be pumped back into the tank. After using it, I had to add new water. So, I'll just use it as a way to clean up the tank before water changes on both the 55g and 12g.

AttackDonut

FWIW I've heard iffy things about Tropic Marin and high Phosphate content.

All the same, have you checked your RO water for PO4 content?

I've used Tropic Marin and Distilled water for the last 8 months. I have absolutely zero hair algae and zero readings on phosphate. I attribute most of my reef success to using good salt. I'm curious to know what you use for a full time filter.

Archived