Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

24jbj cooling fans question/problem.--help

d_icemand

I have a jbj 24 nano DX. I was under the impression that when the lights are on, the fans are on. I was also under the impression that the fans only run one speed. I have been through a couple of different hoods and a couple different power supplies with problems of each. I even put a thread to see if anyone else had this problem. The Lfs always took care of me though without having to deal with jbj. So my question is this. Are your fans on all the time or just with the lights?? Do they run at different speeds? Mine used to run full speed with lights on but now all of a sudden, they are running very slow. I have the lights on a timer which is on a power strip. I guess I will have to call jbj and ask whats the deal. I dont know if they are broke again or Im just nervous. The tank temps havent shown toooooo much of an icrease but that could be b/c my little apartment is nice and cool at constant 74 degrees. Please tell me how your lights work and what speeds.

Dave

The stock fans run at a constant speed when the main lights are on. Never had any problems w/ mine but did add 2 CPU fans at the side grills on a separate power supply to aid in cooling. My lights are also on a power strip.THe added fans run 24/7 which keeps condensation in the hood down.

do you have a pic of how you added your two fans? ive been thinking of doing the same. Do you have them sucking air out of the hood doncb?

Originally posted by d_icemand

do you have a pic of how you added your two fans?  ive been thinking of doing the same.  Do you have them sucking air out of the hood doncb?

Sorry, didn't take any pics. YOu do need to remove the hood to add the fans.

Rough instructions:

Remove hood from tank. Remove splashguard, lamps, lamp sockets, reflector. Mount CPU fan on side vent facing to blow out (mounted mine w/ hot glue). Block off any vent not covered by fan w/ black tape. Run 12vdc supply from wallwart (can also use selectable PS). Re-assemble hood. Done.

As a note, I tested the air temps over each fan and the 2 back ones were about 82F or so, the left front was 85F and the right front was blowing 102F air.

Archived