inTank Media Baskets

I have no idea what this is

hardyl425

This thing just showed up hanging at the bottom of this rock about 3- 4 weeks ago, I though it was dead, but it hasn't rotted or been eaten by the crabs yet. Anyone know what it could be?

DSC00779.JPG

Possible I did have a little crawly thing that I thought was a cumcumber wandering in my tank prior to seeing this, I no longer see the little crawly thing. Hummm, do cumcumbers attach thenselves to rocks and stay there for long periods?

i had a pink cuke (planktivore) stay in one spot for over a year in my display tank. it actually stayed the the general area (2" x 2") for almost two years straight. never moved, just stayed in the current, feeding off the water column.

it slowly starved (imo) as my vermetid snail population grew from one (in the sump) to become the dominant life form in the tank, probably hundreds at one point. i probably had the cuke close to three years or more at that point.

eventually, i had to start culling the vermetids (i.e. yanking them out) before they squeezed every life form out. they're still the most successful life form in the tank imo (miserable little sobs).

btw, if it is a cuke, it doesn't look well.

the near side looks very saggy, almost deflated. an injury or malnourished? it could also just be that it's turning its head (or butt) away.

they can be somewhat toxic though if they kick the bucket. some other angles and pics would be helpful for others to chime in for a definitive ID.

Archived