Top Shelf Aquatics

Glazer??????? hep.. heeeeepppp

BCOrchidGuy

Glazer seeing as you are a cabinet maker by trade and from the pics of your hoods etc a good one... I have a question for you.

Is it reasonable to build a wooden hood for a bow front? The LFS has a 7 gallon glass bow front that I can have for a song and I am considering a wooden hood. What I was thinking is using 1/8th inch ply for the front and laminating 3 to 4 sections together to get 1/2 inch thick. Does it sound reasonable or would it be a huge effort. I have the tools just never tried anything with bending wood before. I could cut some wood on my tablesaw but I cant see it being any better than using the thin ply.

Do a search on "bowfront hood". Entry number five.

No, I'm not gonna post the link, I'm gonna make ya do the search yerself so ya can find out how easy it is.

Glazer seeing as you are a cabinet maker by trade and from the pics of your hoods etc a good one... I have a question for you.

Thank you...

Is it reasonable to build a wooden hood for a bow front?

Absolutely.... per gobies request, um did ya find the post? Basically as you are describing you are going to make a piece of curved plywood. There's lots of ways to do it depending on your skills and machinery. Another way to go about it would be to make your front piece an intrigal part of the top/lid. Use a 1/2" straight bit in a router with an edge guide if you would like a bit of an overhang on the top and rout a groove/dado into the top section. Glue your ply pieces up and lay them into this groove. If you go with an opening top when you lift the lid the whole face section opens up with it... plus you dont have to worry about how the front will support itself on the tank edge. Hope that made sense.

Will see what I can do, I borrowed a digital camera to take some pics of my tank and not a single one was in focus I guess the Camera was focusing on the glass rather than the livestock... sighs....

Archived