Top Shelf Aquatics

IsThis a good digital cam

clown fish rule

clown fish rule

Hello

is this a good cam from futuer shop it is a 4.1 mega pixils is this good for close ups. it is a HP photosmart R607 4.1MP for $179.99$

clownfish,

in order for the camera to be good at close ups, you should look for a camera that has what is called "macro" or "close up" mode.

here are some you should look at: (you should go to an electronics store and look at them in person first though, even if you buy it online.)

Nikon Coolpix 4600

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Nikon-Coolp...roductDetail.do

Canon Powershot A510

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Canon-Power...roductDetail.do

That hp one you posted is ok, but canon and nikon have much better photo quality, and are more likely to have "macro" modes, although you should check and confirm that first.

I am also currently selling my sony digital camera if that interests you.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=61764

good luck! let us know if you have more camera questions!

Yeah, i agree with the Igreen, go for a nikon or canon. The quality is better and a macro mode really makes a big difference. I'm a nikon person but the canons are really good also.

its ok, but the pic quality of HP is not as good, and you will not get as good close up shots or tank shots as w/ the nikon.

in the world of cameras, nikon and canon are considered the top. that nikon is pretty much the same as that hp except 20x better and for only like 4 more dollars.

look at this thread, we talked about camera's a little bit and some people posted pics from there cameras to compare.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=61706

here is one particular pick from a nikon that is a lower model number than the one posted above. it is a great shot!

Stitched_002.jpg (iciene)

with the hp that pic would be blurry and not have nearly as much detail.

jenniebutterfly

mega pixels are not so important. i had a 5 mp camera, it was an olympus c50, it took decent pics, but i just bought a konica minolta dimage z1 and it takes way better pics, and i think it is oly like 3.1 mp.

yeah, mega pixels are good but they arent that important. Having a good quality lens can be just as important and mega pixels wont matter if the image is bad quality to begin with.

To answer your question, ;) megapixels are resolution. A 5mpx picture is just going to have to be re-sized so it really isn't worth it for "close-up" pics... A 3mpx camera w/ better features (and a better lens) will beat a 5mpx camera w/ no features.

My boyfriend just got a Sony Cybershot T1, 5MP, and it has a "microscope mode" or something to that effect (I'm not a camera person), and it's nothing short of AWESOME. We haven't tried it on my corals yet, but we did get to see our hair follicles, the imprinted design on bubble-wrap bubbles, the texture of our skin, the individual grains of pollen on tiny flowers, sugar-sized sand at the beach that looks like heaps of stones on the comp.... VERY cool. It has a million different ways to mess with it, besides just that, and it sure beats spending $100+ on a macro lens. My parents love travelling, and they still use a Fujifilm something-or-other 3MP that they've had for a couple of years, bought for $300-350 at the time--POS! Can't focus on anything without a tripod, and can't focus AT ALL on anything closer than a foot or so. Great for photos of them standing in front of monuments, or shots of mountains and what not, but definitely NOT ideal for photos of the "little things".

The CyberShot T1 runs about $250-350 on EBay--medium range on pricing. He got an awesome deal on his, much lower.

the dsc-H1 would have been cooler.

j/k

nice camera.

i am interested to see how it treats you when it comes to macro photography.

On the macros: it's awesome. Haven't tried it with corals yet, but considering that it could get the finest details you could imagine, I'll bet it'll be pretty darn great.

Is the H1 the 7MP? Yeah, that one was a bit much... :P

I just bought a Fujifilm S5500 -10x optical zoom, 4.1mp, 128mb memory... and more features than you can shake a stick at (apature, white balance, exposure) Everything a Digital-SLR camera has, but without the £500+ price tag. I paid £250 for this camera with memory and charger, which equates to around $400, although on American sites I have seen it at $300.

Ben

Archived