SaltCritters.com

Disease ID, please!

gats

Can someone help me identify what disease my yellow goby may have? I hope the picture is good enough quality to tell what it is. It looks like cysts under the skin and the fish has a red line on its forehead. Please, any help is appreciated.

bump

Good question Gat-- I just got a new Yellow Citron clown goby last Thursday. LFS ordered it for me- orded 4 and mine was the only one that made it. Yesterday I took out 3 small pieces of LR to rearrange for new corals coming in. I reeally stired some crap up then noticed the little clown had some growths or parasites that are the same color as fish. My fish has a couple around its head and couple down right side of body. Looks like what you have pictured on your fish. I dont think it is ick and if it is a fungus Im treating some cyno with erythromycin which works on some fungus-- so Im leaning towards parasite????

Also have to Perc ocell--they look fine

Any help Please

Izzue

Gats

Upon further inspection I think my new little fish got his self in trouble somewhere last night. Mine looks like hes got some scale problems :)

Izzue

if your fish has fungus, you have been neglecting a prior disease for way too long! LOL. Fungus is a secondary infection, usually stemming from a bacterial infection which can be brought on by many things. More than likely, your fish has a bacterial infection.

Many a time bacterial infections are due to lesions and then poor water quality or stress which causes inflamation and infection. A newly aquired fish straight from transit is very likely to get bacterial infections. Red streaks also signifies a bacterial infection.

usually clean water and good varied foodstuffs with vitamins will help clear the infection just fine. Otherwise QT is advisable.

GL

My yellow clown goby is showing the exact same thing (other than the red line) currently. He has about 5 bumps on his right side and one on his left side. I caught my green clown goby bothering him a couple nights ago and the next day he had these bumps on him. I'm not sure what it is either. Hopefully just something temporary that he can fix himself.

sounds like lymphocysts (sp) if there are no other major symptoms, only fatal about 1/2 the time in my experience (though my Merck veteranary animal disease book says "rarely fatal"...). I think it is viral.

luck

yeah, lymph is a viral infection and cannot be treated but is very rarely fatal. You see lymph on b'flys and angels a lot. Recently more TR clowns have been getting it in the hobby. I dont think ive ever seen it on a goby, but it is possible. usually it's on a fin edge or gill edge and is a good deal different looking than crypt or a bacterial infection. then again ive seen a lot of fishes. :)

bobinnola... whats the full title of that book? sounds pretty cool.

AndrewAquariumPlanning

there is no way that's a fungus... there aren't all that many fungal infections... and that doesn't bear the signature of any.

Archived