Top Shelf Aquatics

making a refugium

sjwalton

okay i just bought a 20g long, I am planning on taking some acrylic and partitioning off one side, about 8 inches. I will cut an area in the top for overflow into the small side and rig a powerhead and spray bar as return. Thats my plan for a built in refugium. Suggestions of any kind please. Any ideas on working with acrylic and glass. Any additions or changes? Help.

use glass not acylic. The acylic will bend and might not stick to glass. I would use glass it's abit more expensie but atleast it won't warp or bend.

HTH

printerdown01

Ever think about sectioning off the back... It makes the tank a little narrower, but it will allow you to put all of your pumps as well as your heater in the back of the tank... In the end the tank will have a "cleaner" look. Also no need for the return flow spray bar... Just drill a hold though the partition, and place a powerhead throught the hole. It sounds good though, how it is... These are just changes I would make based upon my own personal preference... Here is a pic from "twins guy" that shows a tank with the back used as a sump, if you notice the tank does not have any power heads or heaters visible in the main tank: attachment.php?s=&postid=48759

you could partition off a corner too (a la All-Glass). i'm assuming you're siliconing it. if you opt for partitioning an entire side get at least 1/4" imo.

if you opt for the corner method i'd drill a couple of holes lower to help prevent drying out.

actually, i like printer's option the best. by cordoning off the back you get all those benefits he listed but also a good amount of surface area for a sandbed, algae, easier light dedication (i.e. a single long daylight fluorescent), and more overflow/return options (right/left, center/sides, inflow/outflow, etc.).

you could even try baffling the refugium (i.e. many compartments)for more surface area, gradient filtration (s. tyree), and diy media filter (also allows chemical filtration by ab/adsorption).

i better stop now. X)

Archived