Pod Your Reef

another snail id?

ricknbecky

you guys are probally gonna kill me if I keep sending pics of snails to ID. This is another LR hitchhiker. He is the same type that killed my dersea:( . so as soon as I get my post finished I may send him to the place where naughty tank mates go. Or I may devise a way to keep him isolated till I get a response.

He has ridges going in a spiral over his entire shell. Dark brown with some tan spots. He has a proboscius and a white foot.

His origin is from either the gulf of mexico or the carribbean/keys area. any ideas as of to what he is?

this is all from a shell collecting website. It won't give you any info on your snails behavior, but it will give you the name to look for.

This link will help you find the family. then you go to this page and all sorts of smartie pants will try to tell you what snail; you have exactly. this site has some KICK ASS pictues of living snails. Some have colors just as beutiful as nudies and slugs.

my GUESS is Cerithium.

printerdown01

Ok, I'll almost stabbing in the dark, so this is to be taken as my opinion ONLY! I have also sent you an IM with more info, that is more of the type of behavior you should expect from this snail rather than ID info. But from the photo I would say that A) I don't believe it to be cerith: it has a trunk and the front of the shell seems too elongated to be certih. B) My next guess was some sp of nass. but I would have to say that the front of the shell seems too long to be nass as well. soooo my final guess would be a murix (or murex spelling?) of some sort. It seems to fit the bill. Most of these guys have spiky shells, but some do not. The often have the tulip shaped shells that resembles a shell very similar to yours. Also they range from shells that typically look like cerith (with an elongated front) to something that looks more like a baby conch. You little guy fits right in between. Let me know what you find out!

well a stab in the dark might be better than a guess. whatever you do send it to the identification link. you will get real life scientists (:o ooh aah :o) to identify it. somthimes 3 or four will give opinions.

• 5 months later...
reefdamsel

ricknbecky,

Did you ever find out what kind of snail it is? I have one, too. I've been searching the snail/shell ID sites and can't find anything. I've got him in isolation until I find out if it's carnivorous/predatory or not. That proboscis scares me.

BlackSumbel

That -definately- looks like a "Clam or muscle boring snail"... they rasp a hole in the shell, stick that proboscus in, and start slurping.

Kind of looks like a juvi Tulip, or possibly a... uh... uh... Periwinkle?

Wentletrap? One of those... :blush:

I'd isolate him and check with the experts first... it's been a while since I cracked my malacology books.

-Sumbel.

• 3 weeks later...
powerofslack

I had one exactly like this form my live rock and he kept eating my algae eater snails at night and hiding in a hole in the LR in the day until I removed him with forceps- it's a little predator.

Acoustic, Is a tiger nassarius a "good" snail or a "bad" snail? I hope bad, because after reading power's post I flushed mine.

Archived