SaltCritters.com

Is this right??

Capt'n T

I have a 12g NanoCubeDX, It has been cycling with 14-15lbs of live rock (it was cured) and 10lbs of CC. My readings are NO3-0/NO4-0/Ammon-0 (for the last three days) Phosphate-0.5/ PH-flux 8.1-8.3/Cal about 400/temp steady 80/ I put in 5 small hermits and 4 astrea snails (had 5 one didn't make it:( ) They aren't making much a difference but my question is my PH is fluxuating and I still show phosphates. I did my first water change today (about 20%)and will test again tomorrow, should I add a buffer to stabilize the PH, if so which would be recommended? And how do I get my phosphates down to 0? One more question, Can I take out my live rock to scrub off alot of the debris that has settled on it (I don't have a skimmer to remove some of this)? Thanks alot for any help you guys can offer:)

Hey Capt'n ..welcome aboard. Here are some thoughts:

1) Are you using RO water? I would be curious where that phosphate is coming from also....unless the dead snail contributed (doubtful).

2)pH will fluctuate overnight. I wouldn't worry too much about that and would definitely not start adding things to your tank until you are sure what's going on. Keep an eye on your livestock..they are hardier than you think and keep on checkin' your params like you are to get to know where your tank likes to be.

3)It's pretty much common practice to keep a phosphate binder in your chambers. You can add one if you like. Better to check to see if there are any in your water.

4) Turkey baster my man....dust off your rock with it. If you do it with your pumps off, right before a water change, some of the detritus will come out with your changewater.

Welcome aboard. SH

Thanks for the advise steelhealr..I use distilled water from the store so I wouldn't think anything would come from the water..The snail died sometime during a 12hr period from when I last checked my little critters so it shouldn't have been in there long enough to do any damage.. I use the baster about 3 times a weeks it just seems to rearrange all the stuff I blow off (oh well..sigh) So I should get a phosphate binder and not really worry about the PH too much right? Thanks again for the help.

Christopher Pearson

flux of PH is good for your range. Dkh buffer, Kent is good. if you hold 8.3 most of the time you dont need much buffer. i'd keep an eye on range, test in mid-day of light time. this is peak. you may not need buffer. calc is ok along w/most of water parameters. i'd do a larger water change though. dont be affraid of large amount water change. i usually do 60-70%.

Archived