Pod Your Reef

24G - 2nd Chamber Fuge - How Effective Really?

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

24G DX...

SO, I jammed a ton of live rock rubble in the back of chamber 2...

Then I popped in a baseball sized hunk of fresh green chaeto.

Then I put a little azoo red sea vase light on top, and made a light shield from electrical tape to block light from entering the tank.

The fuge light run opposite the tank light.

In your guys/gals opinion...is this really an effective set up? Or is this just a "feel-good" mod for nano cube owners?

I would guess that the bigger the fuge the better...but is what I'm doing really large enough to have a real effect on water quality?

I've been running that setup without an added light and I feel it is making a difference in my tank. I think it helps to slow the growth of other nusance types of algea. Not so much of a difference in water quality as it is a deterent for hair algea.

Burt:

I basically have the same setup. I was fighting algae in my tank since day one. When I put chaeto in algae disappeared almost immediately. In two days it was gone completely. So IMO, yes it does have an effect. As far as changing or helping water quality. I do not know.

Bob

burtbollinger

I have an area or two of cyano that pops up every 4 or 5 days...I then vaccum it out at water change.

Sounds like you have some pretty high nutrients if you're getting that kind of outbreak every week or so.

I'd recommend more water changes and testing your PO4 and NO3 levels. On top of that, mix up a batch of new salt water and test it. Also test the water you're using for topoff for TDS. You may be worsen the problem with your water changes.

A fuge is always going to be an effective solution, the growth of the macro, a controlled algae, requires so much nutrients that hopefully there won't be enough for other algae to grow. What you may want to try and do is have the lights on come about an hour before your tank lights go off and have them stay on an hour after then turn back on.

If that kinda of nutrient levels, it may take you a week or more to really have a change in your water quality, especially if you're bringing in new PO4, NO3 and TDS with each water change. You may also want to look at your flow, you may be creating dead zones that'll really encourage algae growth.

I run a fuge in my nano and I saw a change in a matter of days as to the algae on the glass. So as an experienced reefer, this isn't a 'feel good' mod.

I apologize for grammar and spelling errors, I'm extremely tired.

Originally posted by revkev6

I've been running that setup without an added light and I feel it is making a difference in my tank. I think it helps to slow the growth of other nusance types of algea. Not so much of a difference in water quality as it is a deterent for hair algea.

Are you getting growth out of your chaeto

with no light over your fuge?

If your not getting growth,

the chaeto is not pulling much of anything out of the water.

He's probably relying mainly on spill over lighting to light his fuge.

I just took the black material off the back of my nano and I'm trying to locate a good LED light system I can attach back there to light my fuge.

For awhile I just floated the macro in a bag in my tank, granted there were holes in the bag and it was open, but it just to keep the macro from attaching to any rocks and I can honestly say even that made a serious difference. In days I saw a die off of algae.

Originally posted by Rick J G

Are you getting growth out of your chaeto  

with no light over your fuge?

If your not getting growth,  

the chaeto is not pulling much of anything out of the water.

I'm definately getting growth out of it. I just pulled a bunch of it out last week to give to my brother for his fuge. my tank is a modded 2004 24 gallon. I have put 144 watts of pc into it so I get plenty of spillover lighting for the fuge. the other great thing about having all the chaeto in the back is the amount of pods I get. my tank is almost overun with the little buggers. my tank has been up since the first week in may and I never got hair algae until I got a piece of live rock that had it on it already, that bit hasn't grown at all. I have to increase the flow in my tank some more as I have a dead spot that has about a marble sized spot of cyano. I just haven't cleaned out the dead spot in 1.5 months so it's really my fault.

burtbollinger

I bought a red sea aqua vase light for my 24DX....It clips inside of the second chamber without any modifications necessary at all. Total "plug and play"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived