Pod Your Reef

Pentax Optio S Digital cam, reducing brightness

steelhealr

Hi..I have a Pentax Optio S which takes pretty good pix. Obviously not the Mercedes of cams, but, I figured out how to use my macro. When I try to take frontal tank shots, some of the corals come washed out or very white/bright. Is there a way to reduce brightness when taking frontal tank shots? I can't find the manual and was wondering if someone has the same cam. Thanks. SH

sometimes my sony does that too, and it can help a little if i put my hand above the camera to block some of the light. also try taking the shot pointing diagonally down rather than holding and shoting parallel.

Turn off the lights around the tank. Sometimes their reflection on the glass can lead to a crappy shot.

Also, like lgreen said, tilt the camera more at a downward angle so it's no abosrbing the tank's lighting.

And, if you could, post a picture of what you're talking about.

There should be some way to reduce the exposure on the camera. Look for a button or in the menu for something that say EV + or - and turn it to -1 or -2. Or if you can turn up the shutter speed or close the aperture.

use a piece of tracing paper in front of the flash, it diffuses the light. if it is still pronounced, fold it a ctime or 2

Thanks all...to Sinistard...you got me in the right direction...I found a white balance area on the cam where you can actually set it to pix taken under fluorescent lighting. We'll see if that makes a difference. SH

Archived