Top Shelf Aquatics

Aptasia-like completely translucent w/pink tips hitch-hiker?

Scissorhand

Scissorhand

Hi, wonder if anyone could help me I.D this thing. I did try to take a picture but it wouldn't have helped much because it's completely translucent. This aptasia-like thingie is a bit bigger than a baby aptasia. It does have tentacles, but rather straight tentacles, not sway-ey like an aptasia. It's COMPLETELY translucent, not like an aptasia where the flesh is still brownish. The tip of the tentacle is hot pink!!! It's kinda pretty. I'm a bit worried and wonder, however, if it weren't a pest, because it's propagating a bit fast on one of my rock.

Pls let me know if it sounds familiar to something in your tank. I'm sure some of you guys have seen it before. It comes as a hitch-hiker. White/translucent/pink tips. Anyone?

Thanks.

Nah, doubt it's a pink-tip. Are the tips ball-shaped? If so, then it's one of the ball anemones mentioned above. (Can't remember any info at the moment, considering that it's...4:30?!) If the ends are rounded or pointed but not specifically little balls, then it's most likely just another variant of the Majano anemone. If you have corals, I'd recommend taking him out. I kept one I thought was cute, and he seemed harmless because he didn't move or reproduce for months, but then I found his twin brother in the center of a palythoa colony.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey reef mad man, that looks exactly like what I'm talking about, except I could have sworn that the color is pink and not orange. Is it bad? I've a feeling that it's not that bad.

Reef_Mad_Man

They "could" sting other corals but not likely.

They are more apt. to grab a baby snail than sting another coral.

If they get out of control they could pose a problem I guess?

Just dont over feed your tank and they wont have much to thrive on.

Thats probably the best advice I could give you.

When they reach adult hood they very greatly in size.

They can get up to 4 inches in diameter or stay small like around 1 inch. Depends on what food is available to them.

I have several in my 29 and nothing bas has ever happend. (yet)

Archived