Pod Your Reef

Nanocustoms official response

ccjung

I really didn't want it to come down to this, but when faced with accusations about my character, I have to respond.

Nanocustoms Announcement:

First, I will agree that Chris Jung at nanocustoms has been a valuable asset to the nano community. I would like to clarify the reasons behind the decision to stop business relations with Nanocustoms. I think it is always objective to hear both sides before making a conclusion.

You have never made it clear why you have decided to stop business with me.

When Manny (my JBJ rep) called me on July 7, 2005 - and I quote -

"So telling a customer that JBJ should recall or face class action is supportive of us?... That's being supportive?"

My response "Manny, you and I both know something is wrong with the 24g!"

Manny "yes, and were doing something about it."

"Posting on the forums that you have chewed me out is supportive?"

Chris "Well, I don't remember posting that, but if you say so.."

Manny "Do you want me to fax over the thread?"

Chris "I don't think I said it, but…"

Manny "well, we aren't going to be supplying you with product anymore"

Chris "well, I wont be buying anymore"

Conversation ended.

After that phone call, I nicely emailed Steve and Manny at JBJ to give me an official statement on why they terminated nanocustoms as a vendor. I was going to post that along with my announcement, but never received a response.

"Hey guys,

I still contend that in public forum, I have always been a supporter of your products and customer service, however although im not happy with your position, I understand it.

Are you no longer selling ANY products to me? No longer selling parts?

Please let me know what your official position/stance is on this matter and also how I should address this to the public. The public will want to know why I am no longer carrying JBJ products, and I want to do this properly. If you feel inclined, you can come out with an official statement on nano-reef.com and it will be done. I will comment in a gentlemanly fashion, and we can both walk away.

Chris"

When questions started flying in about why I was no longer carrying "stock" systems as well, I had to respond.

1. Since our first post, we have stated that modified Nano-Cubes would not be warranted. And since nanocustom's primary business is focused on the modifying of the Nano-Cube, especially now with even more elaborate design schemes. We would not consciously sell him nano-cubes to simply make a sale and then tell the people who purchased it that the warranty is voided.

A long time ago, when I was first getting started, I spoke with you and manny explicitly about the fact that I am picking up the warranty on "fully" modded cubes.

In fact, my site explicitly states that "Get a NanoCube DX SE with all the mods done by NanoCustoms and backed by a comprehensive 6 month NanoCustoms warranty (due to an agreement between JBJ and Nanocustoms, the JBJ warranty is void).

Have NanoCustoms mod your cube before you get it."

If modification was the true reason why you decided to terminate nanocustoms as a vendor, you should have done so from the start, not now, after many units have been sold, and countless customers have been referred to by JBJ.

2. There has also been an issue of misrepresentation of JBJ on behalf of Nanocustoms regarding warranty claims and inaccurate information stated to customer(s). We would like to state that Nanocustoms is not affiliated with JBJ, but was a reseller. He does not have the authority to approve claims and should not be used as the liason when making a claim. This will only delay the claim process and may lead to misinformation. I would not like to get into the details of this so I will leave it at that.

I have never expressed the opinion or stated to my customers that I have the authority to authorize claims, in fact in every situation where a cracked tank was involved, I referred them directly to JBJ.

In some cases, you (Steve) were the respondent, and you even authorized the shipment of the replacement units by nanocustoms.

1. Jedininja - http://www.nanocustoms.com/claims/jedininja.html

2. Greg - http://www.nanocustoms.com/claims/greg.html

3. Jim - http://www.nanocustoms.com/claims/jim.html

4. Drew - http://www.nanocustoms.com/claims/drew.html

5. Jeff - http://www.nanocustoms.com/claims/jeff.html

this is just a few out of about 8 that I have where JBJ directly responded to the customer and I had followed protocol. When a customer comes to me with an issue with their hood, I warranty it directly and without contacting JBJ, since as stated above, nanocustoms warrantys the "mods" for 6 months.

I just wanted people to also hear the other side. I just don't believe that because he voiced his opinion about cracked/broken concerns that JBJ would terminate him. If that were the case, I wouldn't have been authorized to handle anyones claim since the people on this forum have also voiced their opinions.

This is what broke the camel's back-

Mark is the individual that SH quoted as having 3 cracked cubes. After having so many crack on him, do you blame him for not wanting another?

It seems like you guys may not be on the same page when it comes to warranty protocol, as I instructed the customer to contact JBJ and your employee responded that it was my responsiblity for monetary refunds.

This is a long read, but in this thread is where I state I think a recall/class action is in order. It is my belief that this email is what spurned the decision to terminate nanocustoms as a vendor.

Mark - http://www.nanocustoms.com/claims/mark.html

When he approached JBJ in the beginning demanding a refund, he got bounced back into my realm with "bory's" statement.

This is just an example of how I have done everything in my power to support JBJ and follow their guidelines when it comes to becoming a good vendor.

I've learned in this aspect of the business that your word is bond. I have never sold a customer something he didnt want. Never sold a customer something he didnt need, and never misrepresented myself as "JBJ". I have stated many times that I am friends with you and Manny, and it troubles me that I can't receive the same respect or even an email to clarify what happened.

I wish JBJ luck in the coming months and years. I have and always will be a lover of the nanocube line, and will support the hobby in my future endeavors.

I have no doubt about the success of the JBJ nano cube line, as you clearly state that you have sold approx 100,000 units... However, at 3%, that represents 3000 defective products, ranging from faulty pumps to broken tanks.

When a pump is faulty, or lights don't work, a failure is acceptable, you merely replace the part. When a tank cracks and as such at a time after its been set up and assumed "stable", so much more is at stake.

This is why i had to take a stand and offer my suggestions (originally in private) in a public forum. Up until the past few days, in public i stood in solidarity with you while you tried to figure out what was going on.

Whenever someone has an issue with one of your products, a place they can turn to for unofficial product support is nanocustoms. I do it not in an effort to promote my company, but because i stand beside my fellow forum members as hobbyists.

However, the recent developments leaves my hands tied. I will be working with other companys and my own to add value to thier product lines.

Sincerely,

Christopher C Jung

CEO - nanocustoms.com & nanotuners.com

chris,

it's clearly their loss to terminate the contract with you. but you know that we the community stand behind you. so get that 'arcylic cube' ready and im ready to trash my current 24nc, i just found a tiny bubble around the bend. *sigh*

best of luck.

Chris,

With JBJ terminating a business relationship with you, I would not be surprised if this leads to their own demise. As far as I see it, this is the best thing that happened to you at this time. Now, just get those Nanocustom tanks out and put their "100,000 sold units" to shame.

Best of luck...

Nick

Thanks guys,

this wasnt posted to earn encouragement, however, it was to state some facts and refute some of the statements made.

I have given you just a cross section of the emails i have been able to collect.

If you read this and you are an end user affected by a tank cracking, please state how i handled the issue, and if I ever directed you in a manner that could be construed as misleading you to believe that I was authorized to honor a claim.

I am pretty tired from this debate/disagreement. If you know me personally or online, i dont like confrontation.

However, i dont mind fighting back when my credibility is at stake.

Thanks

Chris

Dude, everyone who has been a customer of yours or in contact with you on this forum having nothing but good things to say about you. So i don't think you have to defend your credibility too much. Just keep doing whatch doing!

it would seem to me that JBJ does indeed have a problem, i have two of their tanks and really wanted two more. Their recent rate of cracking has dissappointed me.

But their actions over the phone, (i called, and when i asked about the "2005" model for the 24g nanocube with the full sized splashguard, he responded in an almost hostile and VERY rude manner). And, their apparant hasty if not rash decision in this regard, means that i will not be purchasing another nanocube.

oh yeah and ashburn, if you are going to "trash" your cube, just give it to me. haha im happy and proud of my tank. i just will not support this cumpany in the future.

Wow JBJ...just keep diggin that hole deeper and deeper...I hope they know that reefers like me were NEVER JBJ supporters--we were nanocustoms supporters...

So, here's to the 15k members here on Nano-Reef and the 100,000 members on RC that's gonna hear about this. I hope you realize the hole you just dug for yourself JBJ.

You know Chris--defamation wouldn't be too far a stretch for this...they are a big corporation who is blatantly trying to discredit you (a business who could suffer monetary loss due to this incident). Stating lies which you obviously have proof against...so retarded...Steve, doesn't JBJ make enough dough to hire a lawyer to tell you when to shut your trap? /shrug

burtbollinger

I loof forward to supporting your business with a purchase in the coming weeks/months...Chris.

keep your head up. This could be the best thing that has ever happened to you.

Cellenzweig

As I've said before Chris, you're better off without them! It's probably better that you're not associated with them when the the lawsuits come crashing down. I bet Steve Yim and associates have spent the last couple weeks huddled in their boardroom working on damage control. They're scared and that's why they cut you off. They know you have too much integrity to keep bending the customer over like they do. You know what they say, "What goes around, comes around". I'm sure good things will come around for you Chris. And we'll see what comes around for JBJ...

Keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing what you have to offer.

Cellenzweig
Steve, doesn't JBJ make enough dough to hire a lawyer to tell you when to shut your trap?
Imo, Mr. Yim's credability is pretty thin...

there's a tiny bubble in it, and going to become one ugly c**k.. it's just around the bend corner. i doubt i would ship it to u. :)

Originally posted by deadmanh

oh yeah and ashburn, if you are going to "trash" your cube, just give it to me. haha im happy and proud of my tank. i just will not support this cumpany in the future.

I've been reading about these cracking tanks for a while and the responses from JBJ I see are really off kilter. I see the reason behind voiding the warranty but there's always exceptions.

I've never had a Nanocube but I'll be on the list for one of Chris's acrylics when they come around as a f**k you to JBJ but mostly as a statement that you can't ignore the community.

JayGlaze379

Normally I would read a bunch of threads like this, and think to myself, sure there are some problems with "some" nanocubes, but the members of nano-reef.com are a very small population compared to the entire nanocube market, and therefore represent a skewed sample of customers. I also believe that people who have a problem with something are 100 times more likely to be vocal about it than a satisfied customer would be with praising a product.

However, in light of the recent events, I now truly believe that the nanocube is a flawed product. The one thing that cements this in my mind is the fact that they have blatantly attacked Chris from nanocustoms.com. I don't know how many of you have had the pleasure of doing business with this man, but believe me, he is a very honest and straightforward person. He would not sell certain setups of his own components if he thought there was even a remote chance of component failure. He would chose not to sell an item and make a profit based on his own assessment of his customer’s safety.

Now if a person would turn down making money off his own product (how many of us wouldn’t have crammed a bunch of MH’s under our hood if Chris released a kit) because he felt it ran a little hot, and would POSSIBLY create problems, why would he try to sell someone else’s faulty product? The nanocube was the foundation of his business, yet rather than risk people’s safety and just count his money, he tried to do something about it.

JBJ’s reaction however was that of a typical company trying to make money. They immediately took an offensive stance, attacking the community here of “modding” their tanks and thereby voiding their warranty. They also chose to just keep throwing new tanks at the more vocal members here in an effort to shut them up, despite the fact that people were just getting broken replacements in the mail. Rather than admit to a problem, and work on a solution, they chose to try to shut people up, and when that failed, simply discredit their reputation. What is even sadder in my mind is that despite JBJ’s refusal to address the design issues with the nanocube, many members here have taken to trying to figure out the problem. From checking the seals, to the heat difference between tank water, and room air, stress from tank being level, etc… the members here have been doing what JBJ’s engineers should have.

Personally, I have even wondered myself if the added weight from the additional lighting under my hood might not be adding extra stress to the tank. However, unless some real tests are done by JBJ we can only continue to speculate as to why so many cubes fail. But blaming modifications is the easy out for two reasons. First members have received broken tanks in the mail, with out having ever laid their hands on them. Second, I don’t know how many of you have cars that you like to mod, but if you do you know that legally a car manufacturer cannot void your warranty for modifying your vehicle, unless they can prove that a specific change you made is causing the specific problem you are reporting. So making blanket statements that modding a nanocube breaks it, is just another example of JBJ not caring to find out what’s wrong with their tanks.

In the end this whole situation greatly saddens me. Though personally I have not had any problems with my nanocube, JBJ has turned its back on their customers. They have driven away people like Chris, and now we will not have access to such things as lighting upgrades, and ICA’s, and who knows what other ideals were swimming around in Chris’s head. Seriously, if there were no upgrades available how many of us would have ever bought a nanocube? What can you honestly do with a stock DX? With that lighting and flow, I highly doubt anything will thrive, let alone survive. So if JBJ wants to push stock tanks, they better start really stressing the freshwater angle, because as a reef tank they are useless.

In the end it upsets me that I have invested so much time and money into a product that is losing support and will essentially be rendered obsolete by its own manufacturer. My money could have been better spent on a more solid tank, and I would have had the added benefit of not having to worry about the safety of my livestock. Yes my livestock was expensive, but above all they are living things. I would feel very sad if I killed them all because I chose the wrong company to purchase a tank from.

I now feel that the community here is not as skewed as I thought as far as their opinion of this tank. We are clearly an echo of the overall customer satisfaction level JBJ now has. Two LFS’s near me that used to sell nanocubes have stopped selling them completely, and the one that used to push them on everyone, where I actually purchased mine, had discontinued them, and is clearing their stock out. They are giving 20% off tanks, and stands are 50% off if purchased with a tank. I asked one of the employees about it, and all he said was “the sooner they are gone the better, too many headaches…” Local stores aside, almost every online vendor seems to be dumping them as well. They all have them on sale, even the Drs., who I always feel are a little high with their prices, are giving 25% off. Hopefully retailers and customers will stop supporting JBJ, and this product will disappear from the market, protecting people from making the mistake of buying one.

Steve, doesn't JBJ make enough dough to hire a lawyer to tell you when to shut your trap?

----

Imo, Mr. Yim's credability is pretty thin...

It's like Miranda rights...there's a REASON why the cops tell you that "You have a right to remain silent..."...because most of the time, you further incriminate yourself, which is why a lawyer should always be present when making public claims...ESPECIALLY such that Steve did--not a very smart guy.

Regardless or not if his credibility is thin, he represents a CORPORATION not an individual.

Cellenzweig
Regardless or not if his credibility is thin, he represents a CORPORATION not an individual.
Exactly, and people are only going to have as much faith in a company as they do in the company's representative... and in this case that doesn't seem to be much...

I wouldn't be all too surprised if Steve is reprimanded by JBJ for his representation of the company on the boards and accusations to Chris. He has put them in a very difficult legal position right now.

However, the defamation would be a question of Chris' reputation...not JBJ's...because it would be Chris' that would be affected by JBJ's statements, not the other way around so how JBJ's reputation is, is irrelevant.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

The power of free press is being exhibited at full force here on this site; thank you nano-reef...

We are seeing how we as a small community in such a large enterprise can make a change; voicing our facts and experiences we will be heard...

I've been fully warned about the inconsistent cubes cracking before any modifications can be done; JBJ needs and has to meet these issues...

But what I will not stand for is to see Nanocustoms being placed as a culprit to the cracking of JBJ cubes; here in the Unitied States you are innocent until proven guilty...

What JBJ lighing is asking for is a counter lawsuit against them, for defamation of character and slander on another company...

JBJ, from your official posting you have given ANY LAWYER DOCUMENTED WRITING TO PRESENT IN COURT; SLANDER AND DEFAMATION SUITS...

What I'm led to believe is that one individuals lack of vision at JBJ is voicing his opinion for an entire company; someone needs to let the CEO of JBJ know of the apparent danger that may hit his empire...

JBJ you are in need of an apology to Chris Jung; a loyal advocate to you up untill your deliberate attack on his company and services...

I think you as a company has the power to place all of this behind you and come to an amicable resolution on the matter before your company is served a class action lawsuit...

Sincerely,

Mike Guerrero

Originally posted by JayGlaze379

Local stores aside, almost every online vendor seems to be dumping them as well.  They all have them on sale, even the Drs., who I always feel are a little high with their prices, are giving 25% off.  Hopefully retailers and customers will stop supporting JBJ, and this product will disappear from the market, protecting people from making the mistake of buying one.

I can tell you from personal experiance, that the retail employees at Dr F&S made it a point to tell me that they were not going to be putting JBJ product on the shelf once they had sold out of the stock that they had there. Considering how my first DX cube's ballast blew out, the second cover was cracked, the third one only one set of lights worked, I helped them cycle through a few of them. Fourth one seems to be working just fine.....

I also noticed that marinedepot.com started carrying the nanocubes. Has anyone thought of bringing them up to speed on recent developments?

Its funny how everyone used to beg marinedepot to carry them and now that they are, the JBJ is on its downward slide.

Thats what you call Irony.

196 for a 12g DX? Ouch!!!

-Hank

Archived