Top Shelf Aquatics

FWIW, my search for a quieter tank setup...

Chineseghoststory

Chineseghoststory

FWIW, my tank was pretty darned quiet when I had an Aqua-Tech HOB for up to a twenty gallon aquarium on the back of my 7-bow tank. I also had a mere Rio 50 power head which, while many would scoff at this lower horse power model, was actually most likely enough for my tank combined with the filter for water movement. BTW, I have only seen the Aqua-Tech selling at Wal-Mart so it may be their house brand or something. Seems like a nice enough filter though.

Then, since everyone seemed to think they were a good deal and a better filter, I got an Aquaclear. Better principle behind it alright but damn that thing was noisy. When I put the top on it, it rattled even more. Add to that the Rio 600 PH which I tried afer being told that it'd somehow be better for my tank. Look, I am in no way one who wants the algae and bored fish that too little current flow can cause, but jeez, does one really NEED to run the most powerful PH they can fit in their tank or even two of them for that matter? Come on guys, you know who you are! When I tried to turn the flow of the Rio 600 down a little, it made even more noise.

Back to my story, this tank sits on my desk and I frequently cruise with my feet up on said desk so I was getting quite the little vibrating foot massage with all this stuff runing in my tank so close to my feet. I had to wonder though, was all that vibrating and noise good for the fish's nerves...or mine?

So now I am back to using the slightly higher-flow and much quieter Aqua-Tech and the Rio 600 will be going back to the pet store tomorrow to be traded back for the 50. Maybe the model 90 would be a better idea but even though there supposedly is a model 90, the guys at the long-running LFS say they have never even seen one, not even by their Rio rep. This is just the story of a small problem I had and what i "did" about it, if you can call going back to my old equipment something.

Jeff

I use a rio 50 in my tank. I also have two additional mini-powerheads. One in the tank, one on stand by. I also get some slower movement from the fuge. Personally, I think the rio 50 does plenty of movement and the mini ph just adds a bit more circulation to avoid "dead spots." I am not a big fan of massive water movement and some of my inhabitants need a little bit calmer water.

Do what works for your tank. Buck the trend if it works for you and perhaps you should market the tank as a nano-reef/foot massage unit. Maybe make some bucks.

harbingerofthefish

Yeah the Aqua-tech stuff is the House brand at wally world. But like everything else they sell, they don't make anything. Like the regent tanks and the aqua-tech lighting hoods...all by marine land. Makers of the ever famous, 2x the price ,eclipse. I my self use a whisper mini, no problems and very quiet. I like the way you modify the flow rate with the knob as opposed to pulling up to intake tube. And as far as PHs go, no LFS sold anything smaller then rio 200's or maxi-jets so I got the Top Fin 75gph PH from petsmart. Quiet, so far very dependable, and of course with a little digging I'd probally find out is was made by Rio or sombody anyway. I ramble.

the aquaclear should be quiet, especially with the little hood on. ??? is the uptake resting on the rib around the impeller?

the rio 90 is very good and i think for some reason more energy efficient than the 50 actually. i believe it's the same size tho.

like crak says, do what's best for your specific system. nobody else has that specific setup (aquasculpture, livestock, lighting, etc.). every bit of advice i give is intended as 'advice'. just like pickup lines, what works for me ain't necessarily going to work for you. (altho stonys are impressive! :rolleyes: )

static69static

I hear you, since I live in an apartment, I have my tank in my room, I used to have an aquaclear filter, which was definitely noisy, then bought a emperor, this thhing got really loud after a few months. On a smaller tank of mine, I tried the penguin Mini, and this is the quietest filter I have ever found. I'm planning to start another aquarium when I get the funds, I want to do this one with an overflow to a sump, that way no noise whatsoever, and the only thing running will be the return pump and it will be in thte cabinet, closed up so hopefully that will mute out all sound. And then I have a place to hide my heater, and thermo. and so on.

I just double-checked my box, and I have one of the elusive Rio 90s. Like the white stag or a Yeti.

I've got it running on my 6 gal in tandem with the in-tank medialess filter that came with the eclipse. It keeps things moving, but not too turbulent. I like it.

Originally posted by tinyreef

every bit of advice i give is intended as 'advice'.  just like pickup lines, what works for me ain't necessarily going to work for you.  (altho stonys are impressive! :rolleyes: )

Really? Not me. I give out orders and I expect them to be followed. Don't be surprised if I show up on your doorstep to conduct a spot check.

Follow my orders, respect mah authoritah and do everything I say dammit.

The aqua clear should be silent I have two 150s a 300 and two 500s and they are all super quiet.

The Walmart house stuff is usually whisper or Penguin stuff with a different name. My Magnum hot 350 cartridges are all replace with the Walmart stuff as it is half the price of the LFS. The HOB they have are Whispers that have different packaging. (At least here they are)

Archived