Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Strange growth on a hammer coral branch! ID please!

Cetra324

Found this growing on the stalk of my hammer coral. Your attention should be directed to the strange green stuff with the dark brown bordering near the "top" of the coral skeleton. :P I've had the coral for about a month, and didn't really notice this before. Now that I think about it, though, it started as a small patch of blackish growth right at the fork of the branch, and has, in about a week, grown much larger (to the size it is now.)

Any ideas what this might be?

mysterygrowth8hr.jpg

It's soft, by the way, not hard at all.

winniebagel

Yikes... you forgot to make the tenticles close up before you pulled the coral out of the water. :blink: Most of those tenticles would've been injured by the skeleton cutting into it when you pulled it out from the water.

Originally posted by winniebagel

Yikes... you forgot to make the tenticles close up before you pulled the coral out of the water. :blink: Most of those tenticles would've been injured by the skeleton cutting into it when you pulled it out from the water.

i was thinkin the same thing. you'll be lucky if you don't lose that whole head. as for the growth...maybe a sponge of some sort.

That's as closed as he would get after a minute of shaking and gentle prodding in the water. He's fully extended now. *shrug*

Archived