Top Shelf Aquatics

Sump idea for 3 gallon

pistonfister

I have a 3 gallon eclipse tank at work. I had an idea for a sump and would like to run it by the forum.

I was thinking of drilling a hole in the back of the tank close to the top and running a a tube from it for an overflow. From there it would go to a 5 gallon bucket under my work bench. I would fill the bucket 1/2 way with bio balls, add a heater, and atach a H.O.T. magnum canister filter on the back. I would keep the bucket almost filled to the top and put some kind of lid on it. Then run a small return pump from the bucket and drill a hole in back fo the eclipse hood for a return. The tubes would be small and not to much flow. I would still also run the eclipse stock hood filter.

So I am open to any suggestions, ideas, whatever. What I am hoping to accomplish is provide enough stability to add a small fish to my 3 gallon tank. I am also hoping to do this as cheaply as possible.

I am also hoping to do this as cheaply as possible.

derrrrr.. why bother ? get a micro PH (see one of my threads in General) and do W/C 2x a week like 1/2 gal at a rip. Its yer best bet. ALSO fer lighting a 27 W quad and a 9 W PC RETRO will work perfectly. Glazer- can make you a hood.;)

I do have a power head in the tank. Its not quit as nice as one in your thread though.

You say why bother. So in your experance you think the water peramiters would be stable enogh for a fish with 2 water chages per week?

THe LR and LS will take care of filtration, just err on the lighter side of feeding schedule, and stick with small fish, like citroen gobies, Basslets, and pseudochromis, ya will be fine. I have a few 2.5 gals running with "duetto 100" filters, and they are just fine.

lest you are going for the slammed decked out look and will need a LOT of water purification, a sump on a 3 gal tank is foolish and a waste of resources. IMO

Archived