Cultivated Reef

R.I.P. Barney

Sparkling_Surfer

Sparkling_Surfer

I came home yesterday to learn the horrible news that my midas blenny had made his first (and last) jump out of the tank...I was (am) devastated. I buried him underneath a banana tree & put some yellow flowers around his grave...

I usually kept the feeding lid open about half way to keep my tank cooler and I've never had a problem with him jumping before...until yesterday. Unfortunately he didn't even get a chance to learn from his mistake. Man, I am so bummed!! I loved him so much...

So, a warning to all cube owners out there: DO NOT keep your feeding lid open without some type of net to catch your fish. I will post pictures later of something my dad made for my tank. I don't want others to loose their fish the same way...I just hope others can learn a lesson from this incident.

R.I.P. Barney...you will be missed.

Sparkling_Surfer

Yes...I have always been pretty sensitive to the value of life and I believe that he had a good life while it lasted. Too bad his stay with me had to be so short...I was looking forward to years!

But, I must move on (eventually)...took off work today because I'm still pretty bummed. I felt like a huge dork telling my boss that I had to go home because I couldn't concentrate since my fish died--we both ended up crying, lol. This kind of stuff has always affected me pretty badly but I have a lot of supportive people around me (and plently of other furry & fishy friends to love).

I'm trying to decide if I should get another midas blenny. I loved everything about that fish--such an amazing little guy. I'm just worried that if I get another one, I might compare the two. And the second one might not be as loved as Barney or *gasp* loved more...What do you guys think?

Well I had an angelfish jump from my tank several months ago. He was in the tank for over 6 months w/ no problems... :( I recently replaced him w/ another angel, but that one vanished after I went on a week long vacation. :( I think I have to just give up on replacing my angels from now on. :( I hope you do okay coping w/ the loss and possibly finding another.

Sorry to hear about your loss. When my blenny did the same I buried him next to a sunflower in the front yard. That blenny was so friendly he likes to watch people and strut his fin every chance he gets. I never replaced him with another.

I'm so sorry to hear about Barney. Poor little guy.

I use to have a FW blue crawfish that I loved. He died of natural causes and I thought I woud never want another. A friend surprised me with a new one and at first I didn't want him. I thought I'd always compare Hugh to this new guy. Well, that couldn't have been further from the truth. My new one, Spike, was completely different. He'd go for my throat through the aquarium glass. I knew he wanted to kill me. I grew attached to him just the same, got use to him baring his claws and rushing the glass as I'd walk by, a far cry from Hugh who'd let me pet him and take food from my hand. One day I walked by and he wasn't there. I thought maybe he realized that his attempts on my life were futile and was just hiding out under the rocks doing his thing. Well the next day he still wasn't around and I got worried. I tore down the tank and he was gone! I found him four feet from my dresser dried up on the floor. (possibly trying to kill me in my sleep!) He must have shimmied up the heater and through the hole and down the cord. Oh I was devastated! As angry as he was I still loved him.

:*(

They were both individual in their personalities (that's saying alot about a crawfish), so I think if you do find another blenny you want to share your tank with he will be different and you'll find just as many reasons to love him as you did Barney.

I had the same thing happen to my Midas Blenny. I found him tonight under to stand under my tank. I just got him last week. I heard they are really cool fish and I guess I didn't realize how big he was for my tank. I have a 20 gallon long and when I saw him swimming I thought he should be in a bigger tank. I feel so bad. And then I did the worst thing I could do today. Since, I haven't seen him in two days, I thought I should look under the live rock in case he died. So, I lifted up rocks and then I couldn't get figure out how to get it back to how I had it. Snails were falling and my poor clown was in a corner. I was cursing my head off. It was a traumatic day for me and the fish.

Sparkling_Surfer

I didn't think others had a problem with their midas blennies jumping out...boy, I wish I had read about that before the fact! The feeding lid was barely open (less than 1 1/2") but I suppose that's enough.

I hope this never happens to anyone again (although I know it will)...it's just a horrible thing.

Archived