Pod Your Reef

prizms

thePenguin

with christmas comin up i might be able to get a skimmer of some kind...prizms seem nice...what exactly would you compare the volume level to? an air conditoner? a blender? maybe the gentle hum of an electric toothbrush?

...oops i meant to make this a reply not a whole new post but now it wont let me delete it so oh well

Well I have a small fan set on low blowing across my tank to keep it cool. It totally covers the sound of the prizm. Without it, the sound is something like a stream burbling at high speed hehe. It doesn't bother me but I have heard some people complain about it. My fan goes off at night so I hear the prizm when I go to sleep, but it is just background noise since I have gotten used to it. If you want to spend the bucks, they say the Aqua Remora C is really nice. The prizm definitely doesn't sound as loud as a blender to me. And it is more of a bubbly water sound than a hum. If you move the air hose over to the no air setting, then it sounds like a very quiet hum. At that point you aren't skimming, but I use it like this sometimes when I want the water flow but I don't need to skim for a time.

I've had my Prizm for over 7 months now and it has gotten considerably quieter than it started out. I wouldn't say it is tempermental, but you do need to "get a feel" for how this skimmer responds to changes in your system (e.g., water changes, additives). It is simple to set up and adjust.

I would say it started out about as loud as a fairly quiet air pump. As it seasoned (= aged) it because quieter and quiter so that now it is just a low hum.

my prizm sounds like a soft, washing gurgle which also cannot be heard over the cooling fan. it's not bad at all, believe me.

Archived