Cultivated Reef

Announcing the ccjung signature edition

ccjung

Introducing for one time only, the ccjung signature edition.

the ccjung signature edition features:

1 x 70w Aqua Medic 20000K HQI bulb

1 x 70w Fulham Highhorse Electronic Ballast (5 year warranty!!!)

1 x Anodized Aluminum Ballast Enclosure

1 x Remote Ballast Cable

1 x 1mm Hammertone Reflector

1 x 6mm Tempered Safety Glass - Heatsink cooled

1 x 140F High Temperature Cutoff (safety feature)

1 x 12in CCFL moonlights

1 x 13w Integrated Fuge Light

1 x 13w PONY 118 Fuge Light Ballast

EDIT:

I forgot:

1 x Nanocustoms ICA device

Optional (may delay delivery)

1 x 24w PC Actinic Blue

I have 15 available for 1 time only.

Because of recent developments between nanocustoms and JBJ, I am no longer authorized to purchase units "wholesale" and mod them.

What this means is that these are the "last" fully modded 12g DXs that nanocustoms will be building as "complete" systems.

We are going to a company analogous to "AMG for Mercedes" to a company like, "Neuspeed". Although it saddens me to see the recent developments and my stand about nanocubes has strained the relationship between my company and JBJ, I always do whats right and stand up for my customers and fellow hobbyists.

Future "custom" nanocubes will have to be done on a "send in service" basis. I have a fleet of 4 "loaner" hoods that will be sent to future customers desiring "mods".

The price tag isnt pretty - Starting at 719.95, but the thing comes fully loaded and I always use the BEST components possible.

http://www.nanocustoms.com/catalog/product...products_id=163

These units will start shipping after I return from vacation, August 1, 2005.

(I want to be available for technical support, should it be necessary.)

PREPRODUCTION MODEL SHOWN. FINAL CONFIGURATION MAY VARY

Please note that this is only the remaining inventory of 12g DX that I have and that the 24g is still going ahead as planned, and when the acrylic bottoms for the 24g are available.

Thanks for your support.

Chris

Chris I hate to be rude, but I've got to ask. How much profit are you actually making on this? Isn't that price a LITTLE high?

For 700 dollars, I can get a 250w RO III pendant and have a custom nano cube built and get a pump. Trust me, I've done my math.

I love what you're doing for the hobby and I enjoy looking at your new equipment, but I can't help but read "PROFIT" whenever I see things. It just seems to nag me that you stand for nanoreefs and you're always the spearhead yet, these price scream otherwise. Why charge so much that it's out of the reach of most reefers? Why not provide your mods at a price that you can benefit from and more reefer's can as well?

I'm sorry for the rant, but I can't help but see 2 sides when it comes to your posts. I own an operate my own business, I understand the need for profit, but I pride myself on providing affordable solutions for my customers because they are important to me.

Sean-

Not being rude at all. My Profit margin after labor, rents, and advertising hover somewhere near 35%.

Lets just break this down. This is MSRP, so it would be "street price":

149.95 : 1 x JBJ 12g DX

85.95 : 1 x 70w Aqua Medic 20000K HQI bulb

85.95 : 1 x 70w Fulham Highhorse Electronic Ballast

22.95 : 1 x Anodized Aluminum Ballast Enclosure

25.00 : 1 x Remote Ballast Cable

35.00 : 1 x 1mm Hammertone Reflector Assembly

10.00 : 11 x 6mm Tempered Safety Glass - Heatsink cooled

5.00 : 1 x 140F High Temperature Cutoff (safety feature)

16.95 : 1 x 12in CCFL moonlights

45.95 : 1 x 13w Integrated Fuge Light

21.95 : 2 x 60 x 10mm Fans

11.95 : 1 x 12v 500mA AC adapter

89.95 : 1 x Nanocustoms ICA Device

========================================

606.55 : Retail Cost of Materials

4 Hours Labor

24 hours Testing

Intangibles: 6 Month Warranty

Lifetime Support

Fully Tested Solution (its been running on my tank in multiple iterations since Dec 2004)

Peace of mind

If you are interested in a similar DIY solution,

I recommend the Artamon Mod. His would finish up around 400 MSRP and wouldn't feature all the available options listed above. This doesnt factor in shipping or other costs like sales tax or other misc fees.

Remember also, that Paypal takes its cut (30 cents + 3%). And that I have to pay state Disability insurance and other miscellaneous fees to operate. Remember we are a hobby shop here and that although it may seem like nanocustoms is "big business", we arent.

Why not provide your mods at a price that you can benefit from and more reefer's can as well?

Thats what nanotuners is all about. You do the work, you perform the labor, you take the risk, you save money.

If you ask any owners of my "fully" custom units. They will tell you if they have had any problems, and some do, its usually a no questions asked warranty, with parts shipped immediately and no requests for deposits or "credit card numbers" for the defective products to be returned.

I dont take any offense to this question Sean, in fact Ive been waiting for someone to ask, so it could be laid out explicitly.

Thanks,

Chris

The time Chris has put into developing this and then modding the cube you buy and backing it with his warranty is worth hundreds alone.

Thanks Guys.

It means alot for your support. Coming from a DIY'r like JMT (we have a long history together... lol), it means a whole lot.

The original plan, before JBJ pulled the plug, was to hire some more employees, and drop the price about 20-30%.

But, things dont happen the way I expected, and as a result, I havent been able to lower the pricing on any of my units, let alone the flagship model.

Just FYI.. When the super cube launches, it will be MANUFACTURED to spec, so for the same money, expect tons more features.

What we've done with the nanocube here at nanocustoms is analogous to a "shoehorned" a big block V8 in a civic.

When we start working on the "super cube" it will be a ground up redesign, so we can put lots of thought into the setup and a better value.

Thanks,

Chris

Man, I thought it was a great price when I first saw it. My time is worth a lot of money to me, and aesthetics are very important to me and my wife. A turn key MH setup like that is well worth $700-ish. Besides the safety factor, the fact that things like this have to be tried and tried again until perfected. Especially heat issues and such.

Remember you could be the guinea pig to try a MH set-up and find out you're gonna run at 85 degrees and blow $500. R&D costs small businesses a lot of money, especially in a niche like we are in.

All that said, I think the lighting in my custom model is better. Maybe not as bright, but much more pleasing to the eye, and adjustable. I do believe I will be able to keep color on some easier to keep SPS.

bonecrusher71

Just my 2 cents congrats on your sig series chriss.

its worth the price considering the price on MH alone.

reef keeping is a expensive hobby in the long run and your prices

for your products are fair looking forward to doing buisness with you.

It's still a nanocube. :P

Chris, I can remember tlaking about this with you in the beggining stages. Insane. Oh how the time flys.

Originally posted by SeanCallan

Chris I hate to be rude, but I've got to ask.  How much profit are you actually making on this?  Isn't that price a LITTLE high?

For 700 dollars, I can get a 250w RO III pendant and have a custom nano cube built and get a pump.  Trust me, I've done my math.

Why charge so much that it's out of the reach of most reefers?  Why not provide your mods at a price that you can benefit from and more reefer's can as well?

I'm sorry for the rant, but I can't help but see 2 sides when it comes to your posts.  I own an operate my own business, I understand the need for profit, but I pride myself on providing affordable solutions for my customers because they are important to me.

At least you had insight that your questions were terriblly rude.

If Chris doesn't sell his 15 units, guess what, the price drops. If he does, guess what, he charged a proper (or too low) a price.

The free hand of the market will ensure that people don't pay prices that are a "LITTLE" high.

In this specific case, I doubt Chris can even make a minimum wage profit on these 15 units! Such a small number, it's very difficult to recover R & D costs, overhead, etc., as their is no economy of scale or diminishing marginal returns.

Archived