Pod Your Reef

Buying used equipment

Guest LudavicoTechnique

i bought a 29 gal tank with metal stand for $10. its wise to buy stuff from people near you so you can check it out. otherwise, you really gotta trust the other person.

I guess ita alright.

For tanks ask how long if its been sitting empty.  I heard the silicone kinda disintegrate if tank is left dry for long periods of time.  Though a leaking tank is not too difficult to silicone yourself.

As for skimmers and filters, you just gotta make sure all the parts are there and its in full working order.  Mostly its fine.

DOnt buy a used heater though...thats one piece of used equipment I would trust.

NaNO ReeFiN

I would say it's fine if you could check out the equipment first and see if it's in working order but for me personally, I'd rather buy new from the store, that way, if there's any problems, I would be able to run back to the store and scream bloody murder.. :)

NaNO ReeFiN

Actually you would, I'd give you soo much business you'd be able to pay for your childs tuition :)  But I've only had to return one faulty item ever and they were more then happy to exchange it for me. :)

I always buy used when I can.

As a matter of fact I just picked up a calcium reactor with gauges, media and tank for $100...Woo Hooo!

No more additives for me!!!!!

Toy

hey toy,  you are gonna use a calicium reactor on your minibow 7?  ive never heard of a reactor on little tanks like ours.  how do you make it work?  keep in mind i know little about calcium reactors other than they use co2 and they raise the calcium levels.  thanks

Used stuff is awesome. People are usually just trying to get rid of there stuff which makes them sell for cheap! I bought my 180 gallon with stand and a brand new magnum 350 canister for $350!!!! Now THATS a deal!

Jay Fortay

Used is definately a great way to go :)

the new stuff is marked up way more then you care to know...trust me, I work at my LFS.

Lunchbucket

used is great.  just don't get screwed

toyfreak you SUCK.  i have been thinking of doing one on my tank for a LONG TIME!!  good luck let me know what is up

Lunchbucket

Archived