Coral Vue Hydros

screw in PC's

loganj

I remember seeing a mention of screw in PC's here somewhere. Also, a member on another site asked about them so I looked around some. Here is what I found (and bought). At Home Depot, you can get a self ballasted screw in PC @ 6500k for about $10. This thing is BRIGHT too...hurts my eyes to look at it. Would be fantastic for a refugium. Also, Lights of America (also avail at Home D) makes a line of outdoor fixtures called Fluorex. They are also 6500k and come in several different sizes. Being outdoor fixtures, they are sealed up pretty well. I bought the large one (about 6"x10") for about $30 and replaced an outdoor light on the house with it. It has a 65w PC bulb. This thing is like having a piece of the sun in your yard...it's super bright. Not sure if it would have an application for aquariums. I think it would make a great pendant for an open top tank. Anyway, that's the lowdown on them if you're interested. BTW, the screw in is Commercial Electric and the part # is 772-429.

Logan J

my girlfriends tank has the loa 65w with a 32w 03 actinic and her tank looks great and her corals absolutely love it. she has polyps whose groth rivals that of caulerpa. its amazing.

I found some at a 99 or more store. they were only 1.99 cents, I got them for the hell of it. They said they were 28 watts, BULL TURD! they are deffinatly less bright than my 13 watt. Also he color sucks. I think it is too blue.

Archived