inTank Media Baskets

Would You buy a JBJ NanoCube?

randygsx

As the title says, if you already own a JBJ nanocube, would you buy another one? If you dont own a nanocube would you or would you not buy one?

After voting please post why.

~randy

I have the oldest 24gallon DX cube and have had no problems with it. However, I feel that the newer ones have had too many cracks for me to warrant purchasing another one. I would be more enclined to purchase an AGA and mod it to the way I want.

I love the way the NC looks, just don't care for the quality of the craftsmanship and weak components.

HTH,

Trekbear

burtbollinger

there's nothing worse than dedicating all your time and energy into making something beautiful, then finding out it can explode without warning

if I would have wanted that, I would have gotten into stacking decks of cards.

no thanks!

Art Vandelay

I must admit that at first the JBJ was very appealing. Everything integrated into one sleek unit. Then I started to do a little research... $240.00 for the JBJ 24 from petsolutions, $50.00 for shipping. Stock filtration needs a little tweaking, lighting could stand an upgrade. I just couldn't see paying almost $300.00 for something that needs work right out of the box. For the same amount of money you can get the 30 gallon Oceanic cube $129.00, an aquaclear AC500 $35.00, and 130 watts of pc lighting. I went with the Oceanic and splurged on MH lighting.

I have two and would buy another. I have had zero problems with mine. Will I? Probably not but due to the fact that I need another tank like I need a hole in the head . . . but it would be the easiest way to get that divorce.

No . . . if I get another it would be a regular old tank. I love the look of the NC, I like that it is self-contained, but as I continue into this hobby I find that the modding itself it just as fun also.

Still like the NC and feel for those that had problems, I guess I just got lucky twice.

I don't own one, but before I could make a decision about buying one in the future, I think that I would wait for feedback from the new line of acrylic cubes. I doubt that I would buy the current model.

NO!!! With all the other BETTER options out there, why would anyone get one. Too risky for me! I got sucked in the first time, and wouldn't do it again.

Rob

Lib-B-Glass

Don't own, won't buy.

I have some experience in the Glass Industry. I like the design of the Nano Cubes, but I'm not crazy about the choice of materials. Glass has some inherent weaknesses, and apparently the Nano Cube has found them all.

I'm looking at a 25G Acrylic setup - similar to a Nano Cube with the hidden sump area.

I'm glad I did not buy a tank from jbj more and more every day.

It's such a shame, no one may have drawn more people to the hobby than they have... but they have some serious problems and are quickly turning into both the mother and the bane of nano reefdom...

I was on the verge of purchasing one about a month ago when all this cracking came to the surface. It's such a shame. They have a very attractive package but the glass is just too big of a problem.

I will definately be purchasing one in the future if they come out with better/thicker glass or acrylic.

I really enjoy staring at my NC12 at the end of the day. But at the same time the little scratches I see on the bends increase in number somewhat from week to week and its making me nervous as heck.

To me, everything on the stock NC12 dx is acceptable just remedy the suspect glass.

I do not think there is really anything wrong with glas being used on the cubes, and neither does my friend that is an engineer in the glass industry, its just the way the glass is being formed and the thing is generally asembled in regards to sctatches etc during assembly. Evidently they just have too many already manugfactuered units or glass assemblies and do not wish to correct it and make it right.....after all, not much can be done with a piece of glass thats already been scratched or dimpled, other than trash it and bite the bullet for the loss.....Then again those tanks already assembled woud be quite a chore to dissassemble and reassemble with quality made glass, even at far east saleries, it would bite too hard in the overall profit of the item...I bet they are going to keep selling these defective units, have a continual running battloe with putting the blame on LFS and improper handling, and the shipping companies for being heavy handed, and keep right on selling them to unsuspecting customers for a long time to come. All I can say is I am extremely happy (lucky) that I stumbled on this website and got some info like I did prior to my purchase which was only a couple of days away at that time........

I have a 12-gallon NC DX and I absolutely love it. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. It's my first aquarium in about 15 years (and my first saltwater ever), and it's been a joy to work with.

I originally voted that I do have a nano cube, and would buy another one. I'm pretty sure I've changed my mind on that one. There are definately better things out there. I do appreciate that the nano-cube got me into the hobby, but in all honesty, it probably wasn't really the right way to come in. I personally haven't had any problems with my tank cracking, but I can see where many people would and do have problems, especially with the thin glass, which even on the 24g, is just as thin as the 12g and 6g. Obviously this is a design flaw. Additionally, JBJ's response looked good to begin with, but now its looking worse and worse. It really looks like to me that they're not interested in fixing the problem, and that they're just interested in trying to save face. If it was possible, I would change my vote now.

~Brian

Nope, from following the recent posts, it sounds like a pr disaster. Same reason that i don't drive a kia. Maybe acrylic would be the way to go.

Archived