inTank Media Baskets

Lawnmower Blenny

collitchboy

collitchboy

I am looking at getting a Lawnmower Bleeny to combat the green algae that has slowly over taken my tank. Will these little guys get the job done or is there a better green algae eater out there?

The green algae has slowly been increasing in "size" so I do not think this is just a bloom that will go away.

Yes, they don't like long hair algae. NOTHING eats it when it's, so you have to remove it by hand--it's the only way. For the shorter stuff, go for Mexican turbo snails and scarlet hermits. Keep in mind that a lawnmower blenny gets 5-6", too large for a nano tank. They commonly starve in smaller tanks unless fed, which can be difficult. Other poor algae choices include: margarita snails (temperate species that can't survive for long in our tropical tanks), Nassarius/Illynassia/etc. snails (detritivores, don't eat algae; the black ones are another temperate species), any fish (most don't eat hair algae, and the ones that do can't survive in a nano).

Other than that... You're probably overfeeding your tank, the number one reason for hair algae. Cut back on feeding, as well as dosing. Replace old bulbs, limit lighting to 8 hours a day if longer, etc....

collitchboy

i have a 29g tank with plenty of what appears to be "carpet" algae, there are no hair like structures in it.

i only feed once a day and dont dose :( i guess i can try limiting the light. i have a thread in the lighting area waiting to be answered before i "replace" anything. thanx.

Archived