Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fish the good, the bad, the frogish

tgrupert

I thought it might be a good idea to compile data on the fish people have had list if was a good expirience or a bad one. also list the size of the tank and if you can the setup. this might be usefull in the faq.

and yet you didn't do it yourself? lazy bum.

Are we talking only in nanos? I have had many tanks in the past and listing all the fish and the different experiences would be a real chore.

However, in the nano -

yellow watchman goby. Didn't live long enough to make a difference.

Bar goby - Loved it but it went the way of the dead when my tank crashed a couple of months ago.

Neon Dottyback - Hate the fish, real hardy, lived thru two major tank issues. This little bastard swims thru the outflow tube of the refugium, hangs out in the third chamber of the fuge, feasting on any overflow critters and then comes back to the main tank.

Black Cap basslet (chocolate basslet?) - great fish but it too died in the first great crash.

Tank raised Percula (true?) - this is one strong fish. Doesn't fear the neon dottyback. Actually bites me whenever I stick my hand in the tank. Stays near the surface at all times, looking like it's gasping for air and dying. Will swim right into my hand and manages to swim in front of the camera whenever I take a picture of the tank.

Other fish that I have had and loved - Midas Blenny. Awesome fish, great personality. Green Clown Goby - If you can find it in your tank, it will give you a laugh. Annularis Angel - sheer beauty. Fuscus Trigger - Also a real beauty. Snowflake Moray - Odd fish with too big of a brain.

Sohal Tang - The best looking of all the tangs, in my opinion.

For the record, I have had tanks ranging from 5 gallon (reared a baby fuscus in that one) t0 170 gallon. Currently, I am running a 7 gallon nano-reef (9 1/2 gallon with fuge), 170 gallon fish with softies in the office and a 72 gallon bowfront reef in my dad's apartment.

I have never had a fish. That is a good excuse, but it makes me even lazier. :)

Yes only in nanos. Regular tank information is already avalable.

could you (and future contributors) posably put the tank size with the fish? this is so some idiot doesn't buy a baby moray for their mini-bow.

Flame angelfish- No problems

Catalina Goby- Major problems its a coldwater fish. its alive but who knows how long.

Scooter Blenny- Great fish and it buries it self in the sand so its a bonus for stirring up the substrate.

Green Reef Chromis - any tank over 12 inches high must have them. There really the only reef safe fish that will swim in the upper portion of the tank. Probably the most energetic and active reef fish. MUST HAVE ATLEAST 3. They like to school keep it in odd numbers too. 3,5,7

Royal Gramma- Great personality and built like a tank.

Blue devil- devil is in that name for a reason.

Purple Pseudochromis- Even meaner than the blue devil

Hi, newbie- no fish yet, but had questions about blennies that seemed like they fit.

Scooter blenny- What fish are we talking about here? Is it Synchiropus ocellatus (also called Ocellated Dragonet or Scooter Dragonet)? I thought they were supposed to be hard to keep fed in a small tank since they eat only little tiny things they filter out of your sand and the quantity of sand is fairly low in such a tiny tank. Like Mandarinfish. Or are we talking about some other fish? If it is a dragonet, how deep of sand do you use, and how big a tank?

Lawnmower Blenny (Salarias fasciatus also called Jeweled Rockskipper)- Do these outgrow the tank? It seems like every book I check give a different max size for these. The one in front of me says 5.1 inches and gives a minimum tank size of 55 gallons. Admittedly, this is not a nano-friendly book, but still! What are peoples experiences? Do most folks move them to a bigger tank when they get big?

Thanks,

Kendra

Update on the Flame angelfish. It does nip the Xenia so I moved the xenia to another tank. hasn't touched anything else. I knew putting xenia in would be a gamble.

5 hex reef: (soon be be upgraded to 10)

scooter blenny-struggled to find copepods and other small crwalies which it prefered to anything i could offer. wen't anorexic so i moved him and got him plump again. better suited to a larger tank, IMO (or at least a very well established tank w/ refuge and/or pods galore)

yellow clown goby-Waldo-like crakeur said, have fun finding him! i think he was outcompeted for food by a hog for an arrow crab, and a peppermint. seems like the perfect reef fish. maybe better suited to a passive crowd. make sure he's eating too when you get one-not sure mine ever did!

orchid dottyback-tank raised-beautiful fish-i always wanted one! great little reef fish, active as heck, aggressive though. may be an issue with smaller shrimps and crabs. pig at dinnertime.

Kendra - although it was in a 45T, he grew from about 2.5-3" to almost 5" in 3 years.........although he is no longer with us:( Perhaps in a nano, there would be less food and slow the growth?

If you're into blennies, another one to look at is the Redlipped blenny. I think in my Burgess Atlas, it says the don't get as big (but don't qoute me on that) He doesn't seem to scrape anything other than algae, and he's pretty good at it too. You might want to get some feedback from some of the reef gurus as to the compatibility of these blennies and corals.

He just disappeared!!!

No crack smokin', Vicoden induced stupper, or keg stands involved.......he just flat out wasn't there one day!

That was before my move in August, so when I broke down the tank, I was like Indiana Jones looking for a Lawnmower blenny skeleton.

Call my tank the "Portland Triangle"! Maybe I'll find that missing Avenger Squadron behind my skimmer?

My guess is he became fish/crab food, but I've never seen a vanishing act like that before.

I dunno, has anyone else had fish "vanish"?

that's really weird. I wonder if he magicaly apered in your cat's gut around the same time. :

When in doubt blame the commies. Seriouly they are the best scapegoat. "where's your homework?"

"the commies ate it."

If your girlfriend finds a hair longer than hers in your bed blame it on the commies trying to get free sleep while you were gone.

My system for blame displacement never fails. I also think that the hole in the ozone has somthing to do with the commies, but i'm not sure they had enough time because they were spending it all on making those confusing florda ballots.

I know a lot of young people might be reading this. Let me make this perfectly clear. it's all fun and games until somone loses an eye. Then it's just fun. communism is about as dangerous as untied shoe laces or leaving the lights on when you are the last person to leave the room. It is a serious thing with serious consiquences. It may be true that communist women are loose, but, uh, well I guess you can sleep with them if you use a condom. However if you get really itchy and start seeing what look like "pods" in your pubic hair don't say I didn't warn you. comunism is the leading cause of cooties, so you better use two condoms.

• 1 year later...
Pinrod Urkish

I HAD 3 figure-8 puffers with my newts while I was getting the puffer tank set up. I put in a plexi-glass divider and well fed the newts, yet one by one the puffers "dissappeared" before i realised what happened. Makes me angry at myself

• 3 weeks later...

Hey onthe fly,

Not quite a guru, but I have some info on the redlip blenny. From the information in the books, it grows to 5 in or so. MIne was only 3 in when I had it in my 55 gal reef. Great fish, full of character. It would always bite my hand when I put it into the tank and would slap its tail on the sand when it was ####ed off. Damn thing taught my clowns and tang to do it too. One after another, they would smack the sand stirring it all up. Also when it did bite it left a smiley face on your hand. He ate mostly algae in the tank and seaweed I clipped to the side...he loved the stuff. He and the tang passed away in that big blackout the northeast had this summer...couldnt keep the tank cool enough. Coolest fish ever. LOL!

Archived