ReefCleaners.org

Sump for 24G

Esper

This weekend my buddy and I installed an hob overflow box leading to a 14 gallon rubbermaid sump. the lfs had it for cheap, and much to my surprise when I got it home, it fit perfectly inside the middle chamber of the nanocube! We used a dremel and a router bit to drill overflow teeth and make holes in the hood. Here are the pics!

tank shot:

in-tank_shot.JPG

note the siphon tube is missing in this picture. It sits in the left side of the overflow box.

side view:

overflow_side.JPG

sump and auto top-off:

sump_and_ato.JPG

The CPR Bakpak skimmer is visible in the back of the sump (with the two black pipes)...this actually causes the most noise as the water level in the sump is necessarily lower than the outlet from the skimmer...I just need to extend the length of the pipe with some PVC.

The return pump is a Mag 12 that came from a local club member...its waay too powerful! I installed a T with a ball valve to redirect excess flow back into the sump...its all the way open! The amount of flow that I'm not using is incredible. This is for sale, and I will get a mag 5 or 7 to replace it. I'm also getting wicked minibubbles from using too big of a pump and not having a baffle from the drain pipe yet...I'd like to make it a refugium so a proper acrylic sump is planned for the future.

I like it. How does it look with the hood on?

I'd put in a SCWD, and plumb the returns back into the display. The SCWD may kill 20-25% in addition to head loss from your pump. You can yank the other pump(s) and move the heater to the sump.

Archived