Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Damsel, the Excavator.

RedKnightSpecial

RedKnightSpecial

I researched for awhile on what fish to add to my nano and finally decided on a pink Talbot's damsel. Pretty fish, nice temperament, very hardy, eats everything. The perfect fish for a beginner's one fish tank.

And it is a great little fish. Lots of personality and feisty too. Loves to nip at my hands. (So does the emerald crab, but that isn't as nice.) But one big problem. My Damsel constantly digs under my LR! She'll (I call it a she) will get down in the sand and wiggle around, causing a whirlwind of sand to fly around my tank. She has already messed up my aquascaping numerous times (I just gave up on it), and today she buried the cute little Clove Polyps that came on my rock. I had to carefully dig them out with a wooden spoon.

Anything I can do?

Nope--it's in their nature...can't do anything about it...the only thing is--if you want to take everything out again, just go ahead and put eggcrate below your rocks, and cover it with sand--that way your rocks won't "cave in" and fall.

RedKnightSpecial

I don't want to do that yet. I have just started seeing a little life in my sand, and I don't want to kill it off. I am gonna try the wait and see approach. Eventually she will dig the rocks all the way till they rest on glass and hopefully they won't shift anymore after that.

Just make sure she doesn't topple the rocks... It's happened before, and you know ol' Murphy's law...

RedKnightSpecial

Well...the Damsel is going back to the LFS today. The little butthead keeps up a constant sandstorm in my tank and the other inhabitants are decidedly PO'd.

Can anyone reccomend a good non-mining fish? No clowns, by god!

Archived