Cultivated Reef

MH: magnetic or electronic?

cmoreash

K, I've got a magnetic ballast on my 29g.

I want 2 MH ballasts for a new tank, 250 watt ones. I can get the magnetic ones for REALLY cheap if i DIY, which i would. I've been hearing electronic ones are a LOT better though. Could someone tell me more about this? Another thing, it seems like you should be able to find cheap electronic ballasts to DIY with as well.

Could anyone help me out?

THANKS A LOT :)

Yea I know these electronic ones are better. question is, I do not wanna pay $100+ for each ballast. Please don't call me ghetto, as i'm not, i really wouldn't mind paying that much money if i had a job, and in my situation, i can not have a job, so i have to look for cheap prices.

ok enough babble...so are there cheap electronic ballasts i can DIY with as well? I know they would be more expensive than magnetic....

thanks a lot guys

I've wondered why I haven't seen any DIY for electronic ballasts too.....

I have a magnetic ballast for my 400 watt MH and it is silent, you can call a hydroponics shop and ask how much for an enclosed ballast and maybe go take a look see and figure out if it is quiet enough for your needs.

All the replies are right, electronic ballasts are more efficient, less bulky and run cooler. However a 250 watt bulb still uses 250 watts regardless of the ballast. I have a room for my Orchids, last winter I couldn't keep the heat above 65 degrees with a 1500 watt heater. This year my 400 watt MH bulb and ballast keep the day time temperature of the room around 80 degrees, at night it cools to 60 to 65 and yes we have already had heavy frost. So my magnetic ballast and bulb are more efficient as a heater than an electric heater but not as efficient as an electronic ballast.

yea, i was gonna go get 2 enclosed ballasts unless i can figure out how do DIY with electronic ones IF you can get them for decent prices as well. thanks :)

Archived