Pod Your Reef

good snail bad snail

ricknbecky

These two little guys are hitch hikers. As far as I can tell they have been friendly. The little blak one is about 1 cm long adn I just spotted him two days ago. The tan one is an inch and there are two of his type. any ideas as to thier name and temperment in the tank?

conus snails would be bad, very bad imo. :o (ouch! what was thaaa...!)

the little one looks like a cerith. the bigger could be but it's a tad too big ime. try to get a shot from the 'front' side to see the spirals and mantle.

Originally posted by tinyreef

conus snails would be bad, very bad imo. :o  (ouch!  what was thaaa...!)

I'm actually lokking for one. been talking toscientists in florida and australia. the only ones thast are dangerour to humans are the fish killers.

So you have to get one without to much coraline o you can identify it. also knowing where it comes from helps a great deal. unfortunatly they really aren't hardy at all, but I woulsd love to try.

check the ols/lfs, i'm sure they'll eventually turn up.

heck, i saw a blue-ring octopus in a well-known ols/lfs in a hof quarantine cup within reach of kids. :o peeps should be aware some of these animals are deadlier than rattlesnakes.

I must agree that the majority of poeple do not understand enough about the possible danger behing keeping different types of animals and shouldn't keep them of sell them for that manner.

here is the apeture of my larger snail. He arrived a hitch hiker on one of my live rocks. I have a mix of Gulf view and Tampa bay saly water. So he is either from the Gulf of Mexico or the Keys. Being that there is two of them I figured that it may be a good idea to ID them Before they decide to breed. Primarily they act as a sand sifter but I ofen see them on the rocks. Very seldom if ever have I seen then on the glass.

I must appolige for the quality of my pictures I only have a cheap little web cam.

Tampa Bay Saltwater rock huh. How is that stuff? I created there website for some LR (barter system) but I never collected on it. They have a nice site (well at least it was for 70 lbs. or so of rock) but I never got around to get the rock. I was waiting until I converted a 55g into a reef but still have not done so. I have been really thinking about it lately and may decide to collect. PS If you talk to Richard, let him know I have not forgotten about the rock. Sorry to get off the subject.

Ya know Rich at TBS must love to barter - he gave us 20# of LR for fixing a hosting issue ( went to get a few pieces of decorator rock and 20# of ls ) and he had a problem with his ISP - I got him squared away and he gave us the rock for free.

The small one has the profile of a cerith snail, but it is hard to tell with no detail.

The larger one looks like a whelk. Most, but not all, whelks are bad in reef tanks. They primarily eat either molluscs or corals, as far as I know no species eats both. What color is it's foot, does it have a small proboscis?

If you have potential prey in the tank it will help you tell what it eats anyway.

I would just watch it and see if it: 1) attatched to other snail shells or 2) snuggled up to some corals at night. If it does either of these I would just get rid of it.

Not spending time on the glass seems to indicate it probably doesn't browse algae, but it may simply be a detritivore.

Originally posted by ricknbecky

Ya know Rich at TBS must love to barter - he gave us 20# of LR for fixing a hosting issue ... I got him squared away and he gave us the rock for free.

It only cost him .28 cents a # actualy he MADE $ on the deals.

you computer techs make like 30.00 an hour + he throws a few tons of rock in the ocean, occasionlay goes and checks on it, restacks it, waits, harvest it when ripe, and makes a killing.

Its kinda like getting a BJ from a hooker in trade for fixing her car.... not a bad deal if that is what you really wanted anyway ! :D

BUT its still cheeper than buying the rock per pound I 'spose,

so cool beans ! Im still partial to my buddys at Triton Marine www.liverocks.com

his head and mouth parts are sort of tan with sort of a black latidunal striping.

As far as our rocks go I love all of them. Both tampa bay and gulf view have great stuff. But because I live in the area I had the advantage to hand pick all of it.

Becky

sorry It dawned on me when I threw a spirulenawafer in the tank and saw my little naa come after it. kinda like seeing a bunch of parascopes come out if the sand.

And no my mystery smail doesn't have a proboscis

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

It only cost him .28 cents a # actualy he MADE $ on the deals.

you computer techs make like 30.00 an hour + he throws a few tons of rock in the ocean, occasionlay goes and checks on it, restacks it, waits, harvest it when ripe, and makes a killing.

Its kinda like getting a BJ from a hooker in trade for fixing her car.... not a bad deal if that is what you really wanted anyway !  :D  

Well at least you're not killing a reef. Also the hookeer analogy is lame. I'd say it's like wanting to go to europe and actually going to disney epcot. It's not bad but I rather go to europe.

printerdown01

Ok, here are some possiblilties for ya:

I'm betting on cerith:

CERITHIIDAE.jpg

There is also a possibility of columbellidae:

COLUMBELLIDAE.jpg

and even less of a possibility of some obscure Nass. spp. which can on some occasions have a sp with elongated cone shells:

NASSARIIDAE.jpg

Archived