Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Identify this please!

mtnbiker

On several pieces of live rock in my 24dx, I have patches of small green, balloon-like growths. In the attached image, the largest is about 1/4 inch. Not sure if this is good or bad stuff.

Thanks,

Steve

Valonia, aka bubble algae. The fluid inside contains spores to grow more, so be careful getting rid of and try not to pop the bubbles in your tank and release the spores. ...and yep you probably should look to get rid of it asap, it's considered a pest that can get out of hand quickly.

It's valonia (bubble algae). It can become a problem for some people. However when I had it it never became a nuisance. I also had a red variety that was actually very attractive. Over time it all died off on it's own (probably outcompeted by other algaes... along with my periodic picking off of the bubbles).

If you don't like the look, just pick the bubbles off the rock and toss them. Be careful not to pop the bubbles as this can spead it. Some people rush off and add emerald crabs at the first sign of bubble alage. Personally I think it is a drastic overreaction! Adding a relatively large, potentially predatory crab to my reef because of... a couple of tiny green bubbles : ). Don't believe the hype.

Hi..first off...STAY CALM. LOL. I have bubble algae and it is not spreading like wildfire either. At least for now, I have an emerald crab and he isn't terrorizing anything and he DOES eat my bubble algae. It is disappearing. However, I will say that the line 'be careful when you pick it off' is sorta funny...I think everyone has a 50-50 chance of popping it. It is not easy to do underwater. If the rock is on the top of your pile, you can take the rock out and scrape off the algae pretty safely and easily. If it is on the bottom-most rock supporting your reef...well...uh.....that emerald is looking a lot more interesting. SH

Thanks, guys. Most of it is on the top of the rocks, fortunately, and gives me another excuse for aquascapping again... Sounds like the most important take-away from this is to not pop them in the tank. Thanks again -- Steve

If convenient, you can remove the rocks and use a razor blade to take off the bubbles (or use your hand). Then rinse the rock off with salt to remove any spores that may have fallen. If there are no corals etc on the rocks in question you can do a quick fw dip just to be sure.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the bubble algae. I had a few patches of this stuff in the beginning. Took several pieces of live rock out and got rid of most of it. I leave the lights on the 24dx probably 8 hours a day... fade to present... their were several outcroppings of new growth over the past few days. I became skilled in reaching in after dousing my arm with Stress Coat (a paraniod practice of mine) and pinching the darn things off without breaking them. So here's my plight: I broke one last night. Not so bad so far -- now for the Hollywood plot: I'm going out of the country for one month. No way to monitor what the heck is going to happen in the tank except for my ex-wife to come over with my veterenarian-to-be 7 year-old daughter (who I place supreme condidence in), to top off the tank with RO fresh water. But I can't spell veterenarian consistently. Should I run to the LSF before leaving and buy a green emerald crab before I go? Will one month with the lights on only 4 hours a day be risky? Should I invest in Iraqi Dinar's at pennies to the dollar?

I've heard that the crabs may find other things to eat on the live rock. I have an automatic feeder delivering flake food to the two percula clowns. I have 8 or so different corals, a turbo snail, and few other creatures that have emerged after a few months, including tiny, transulcent little insect-like creatures (like silverfish - go figure!). Just curious in forum ideas on what you would do in this situation. Many thanks again.

Emerald Crab! It was freakin' COOL to watch mine eat the bubble algae! I had 1 little bubble, he devoured it, never had any more after that. Best Buuble Algae removers on the market.

Don't bet on currency exchange - money flucuates too much. Buy Sirius stock, or Wild Oats Market stock instead (I'm up 56% and 67% respectively in 3 months and the more suckers, I mean investors, I can lure in, the better off I am! :)).

I had a large emerald crab. It didn't eat much algae, it DID perch in my frogspawn and torch corals, making them VERY unhappy. It was like freakin' Godzilla in the tank and took great delight in throwing stuff from the top rocks down to the bottom of the tank. I had to replace anything that wasn't glued down each morning. So I got rid of it and have not made any further efforts to get rid of the algae. When I am siphoning, I crack the bubbles open with the end of the siphon tube (spores get sucked out immediately) just for fun :P .

Good luck.

J--

Archived