Coral Vue Hydros

Tiny Cluster of Green Polyps...not a clue!

mwp

Best I can do is post a picture. Each polyp has some "tentacles" but the number varies between polyps. Came in on a Daisy Polyp colony. Doesn't really look like a Zooanthid to me.

Here's the best pic I've been able to snap so far this evening.

unknown1.jpg

Any guesses? Would love to find out what it is so we can care for it properly and hopefully cultivate a nice colony of it...the dark Forest Green base coloration looks much better than in the picture!

MP

Interesting. The polyps look kinda like alveopora, but that is an LPS coral. Your's looks more like the individual polyps of a soft coral unless the picture is just distorting the base. I don't have anything better than that to offer, but I'm really interested in finding out a positive ID.

I can add in that the polyps are all connected at the base. Tonight when we finally turn out the lights, I'll hopefully be able to confirm the existence of some sort of skeletal base, which would further confirm the Alveopora ident. Thanks for pointing me in a good direction so far. Now, if we can pin down the genus, I'll do some searching and see what guess I can come up with for a species!

MP

Alright, here's the coral at night; it indeed looks like a tiny Alveopora growth...looks rather orderly with a skeleton underneath the tiny tiny polyps! COOL!

MP

Yup, Alveopora. Adorable! Lucky you!

Archived