Coral Vue Hydros

Upgrade thoughts...

pipeorgel

I've been collecting info over the summer (and "experimenting" with my sorely-inadequate Eclipse 6) and am thinking of getting a serious upgrade with the following:

The "mikeguerrero signature" 12g modified nano-cube (hopefully the acrylic when it comes out) with the skimmer mod and chiller (I have a hot house)

Replace the PH with a Maxi-Jet 900 (is that the best?)

The Coralife powerbar/timer.

I'll move my Eclipse contents to this (10lbs LR + cleaner crew + clown) and build upon that.

Since this is a major purchase, I want to make sure I don't get stuck with the wrong outfit (like I did with the much-less-expensive Eclipse. That was good though, to get my feet wet :P ) Do you think I'll be happy with this in the long-run? I'm not looking to keep the really difficult stuff as I'm a relative newcomer, but I want something that will do pretty much anything (for a 12g), keep it all very healthy, and will be relatively easy to maintain.

Are there any definite limitations with this set-up? Anything I should consider changing?

Thanks for the input guys.

Cholesterol

I have a 12 now and wish I'd started with the 24. It's not that much bigger of a footprint, but the added size sure is nice. Plus, the cost difference isn't too much in the long run...

Bound by 12 due to table size (I've measured my space 6 ways from Tuesday...was thinking 24 as well)...but figured 12 was better than 6 at least ;)

Cholesterol

12 will definitely be better than 6! Plus, the aesthetics of the cube are great. The Guerro looks like a great setup.

Either the MJ 900 or the minijet 606 will work for return pump.

I'm not a huge fan of the Coralife power bar, just because you're limited with on/off periods on the timed outlets. I think you'll have more options by going with a regular power strip and 3 $5 light timers (actintics, 10k, and maybe moonlights on the third, though personally I leave my moonlights on 24/7).

Happy shopping! The design part is my favorite, so don't be in any big rush...

Archived