Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need MH Lighting?

dweakl01

Just a heads up...

I came back from Lowe's today with a Regent 500 watt halogen worklight. It is Model # PQS45 and has a yellow frame/stand with it. It is ballasted and ready to be plugged-in. If you don't assemble the fame/stand, this can be easily hung over a reef. It accepts 500 watt and lower bulbs and comes with 2 x 500 watt bulbs included. The price was the best part...$9.99. So head off to your Lowe's then to your LFS to buy a decent bulb (500 watt or less) and you'll have a very affordable MH system. See the pics below...not bad for $10.

DCP_2752.jpg

DCP_2751.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually, cant you only use the housing and the sockets? i beleive you need a different ballast because that is a halogen bulb...

wow... and to think all this time we've been spending 300+$ for halide systems that are only 250W. You'd think that someone would have thought of this before, but nah... us reefers arn't generally arn't inventive and into DIY stuff... hey, wait a second...

haha... sorry, couldn't help my self. That system will not run a halide bulb, and it's stock bulbs are of an undesirable color temp. with low par values. Still cool though cause pendants can go for 80+

Actually, it runs a halide bulb just fine. I put a 20K 150 watt coralife bulb in it this afternoon and its working perfectly.

I don't believe that for one second. Do you have pictures with the 20k MH bulb in place? Can anyone verify this is possible? Seems like someone would have noted this a LONG time ago.

Yes, seriously true. Read the AA article then visit Lowes for the light-$10- and get an MH bracket - $8 - from your local lighting shop. After that the bulb ($25 - $50) is your only other expenditure.

THe bracket replacement will take about 10 minutes to do...Remove the halogen bulb, remove the reflector remove the bracket cut the bracket lead, splice-in the new bracket and revers the above steps.

mattgreene22

Sounds like this set-up could use a better reflector too bsed on that article...but I was speed-reading admittedly. Did it appear that way to anyone else? Sounds like an interesting option and project.

dweakl01 - You're using a DE bracket...right? Also, did you swap out the reflector too...or do you plan to later? Can you give us some specs: fixture size (internal/external), ballast included, etc?? Sounds like a cool cheap rig...keep us posted on the performance.

Yeah its a single piece (not two pieces) DE bracket, and yes I reused the old reflector. And, you're correct, the reflector isn't much and could probably be upgraded cheaply as well. As far as specs go, I'll measure it tonight.

Perpetual98

I can't imagine that this will work long term, if it even works at all. I would think, (and I'm no EE) that even if the bulb did fire, you're not even in the ballpark for wattage that the bulb wants. How about some more pics of it in action? Hopefully it does work!

Archived